thread: Cold, Blocked Nose and Throwing up...

Dec 2006
    Out of my mind. Back in five minutes...

Stuffy nose, and gagging on food

Hi,
    My poor DS, 9mo, has been a bit sick for the past few days. Friday he had a fever, and a very snotty nose. I took him to the Dr, who said to use Fess nose spray to clear the nose, and keep an eye on him. Saturday, fever and snotty nose again. Yesterday he was off his bottles, but good with solids, no fever, but still a snotty nose.

Today he has been in fine spirits. But, again he has been off his bottles, (he had maybe 310ml today, he usually has 550ml during the day) but was OK eating very smooth food. My FDC carer tried to give him some banana, but he gagged on it and threw up his food.

Tonight I made him up some carrot and corn soup, which he ate willingly. I gave him a nose spray with the fess about 15 min before giving him the bottle to clear it so he could drink. He usually then has 210ml bottle going to sleep. Tonight, he was slowly drinking the bottle, stopping to breath with his mouth, and I took the bottle out of his mouth. About 80ml into the bottle he gave a little ugh and next thing, projectile vomited all his dinner and bottle all over me and the floor.

I am assuming he got some milk caught in the wrong pipe and it made him throw up, but I am worried about him. He has not been peeing as much as normal.

To make thing harder I am home alone with DS as DH is up in Cairns I am supposed to be flying up with DS on Thursday to go to a wedding. I am really concerned about DS and his hydration. I am going to try a dream feed tonight, but not sure what else to do. Maybe I should go back to the Dr?

And help/suggestions appreciated. TIA.

Dec 2006

Anyone?

DS is still not 100%... He had some breakfast this morning, but again he gagged on the weetbix, cause it was a bit chunky... When I added more water and really stirred it up he was fine to eat it... Does this sounds normal with a blocked nose?

Mar 2006

It is actually not that uncommon for babies to vomit when they have a cold. The mucous can drain into their stomach which is not a very nice feeling. This can make them lose their appetite and also throw up when they have something to eat (especially milk unfortunately!). It does pass as they get better. The best thing to do is lots of FESS and lots of tummy time to get the mucous to drain out the nose instead of down to the tummy.

Your DS might be having difficulty with chunky food today because he might have a sore throat. Think about how you feel when you have a cold - they feel the same except they don't know what's going on and get get a bit frightened.

If you feel your DS is dehydrated, def go back for a check up. But keep in mind that there is nothing they can do for a cold other than monitor him to make sure he doesn't dehydrate. Antibiotics don't work on colds. Your doctor may give you a prescription for something like Demazin which will help dry up his nose.

Hang in there - kids are really resilient and bounce back quickly.
    HTH

MG

Dec 2006

Thank you!!!

I assumed that, but just wanted to hear it from someone else. And it is hard not having DH at home to bounce it off too.

I have taken him off dairy (no yogurt) and he is back on blended foods. And it seems to be ok. We are just eating small amounts at a time, and I have made him lots of smaller bottles. And the sippy cup of water has been in reach all day.

As for tummy time there is NO change of that. DS has just found his walking feet, and you cant get him to stand, let alone lie still...I guess that is not helping with the mucus, but it does seem to be a bit clearer today.