Thread: Concussion?

Question Concussion?

My little man (17 months) had a fall yesterday around 6pm onto the back of our futon (a metal bar)and had to go to Emergency. He appeared fine and cried straight away for at least 5-10 mins. He has a 2cm cut in the middle of his forehead which they glued together with adhesive and said he should be fine.

He seemed ok until he awoke at 3am vomiting. I took him to the Dr who said it wouldn't be worth sedating him for a CT scan and just to keep an eye on him. He was a bit clingy and then slept for almost 4 hours (usually sleeps for 2 hrs) and then was tired at bedtime but kept waking up crying for the next 2 hours.

Is this conussion that needs further monitoring by a dr or do you think he's ok?He hasn't eaten hardly anything but also hasn't vomited again. I dont want to seem paranoid but at the same time I dont want him to get worse...any advice appreciated.

It does sound like a delayed concussion. If you are worried and feel he needs to see a dr take him there now.

I would definitely be seeking further medical advice, better to be safe than sorry, especially with head injuries!

How is he Sorka?

Thanks guys.

We had a long night with him last night and he still wasn't eating this morning. His temp was 39 at around 12 so we took him in to the Dr. She said temperatures weren't usually associated with concussion and has diagnosed the poor kid with tonsilitis/sinisitus/ URTI which he probably caught from the emergency waiting room on Tuesday night!

The nurofen took his temp down (she said if his malaise was related to the concussion she didnt' think the nurofen would have made a difference) and he managed a small amount of yogurt before an afternoon sleep today. The Doc has put him on antibiotics and he is due to have gromets inserted next Tuesday so we hope he'll be ok for that.

Thanks for your concern - hopefully he'll start to perk up soon.