Thread: Could it be german measles? 12mo had vaccine last week

Default Could it be german measles? 12mo had vaccine last week

My DS had his 12-month immunisations (inc MMR) last Friday. This morning he has a terrible spotty-looking nappy rash, plus spotty rashes on both knees, and the odd spot on both feet. The spots are small, kind of pimple-looking, red and close together.

I've no idea what german measles (or measles) look like, other than they are spots. Does anyone know what I'm supposed to be looking for? DS is otherwise happy enough. He's snotty, but has had a cold for the past week. No temp, no vomit, no diarrhoea.

DS has never had nappy rash before (we've been very lucky - he's been an extremely healthy, non-rashy baby!), but I changed a very pooey nappy about 30 mins ago and noticed the rash (he would've only sat in poo for 5 mins max). Does nappy rash come on suddenly - particularly if the poo is acidic??. DH, who gave DS his first nappy rash this morning, didn't notice anything but apparently he was in a hurry, so he didn't look (grrrr - it takes two seconds to look!). So goodness knows if this has brewed overnight, or has come on much more suddenly.

Even if he has nappy rash, it doesn't explain the spots on his knees etc. Our GP told us that one in 10 bubs will get a dose of german measles after the vaccination. Maybe I'm talking myself into this ...?

Anyway, I'm officially confused. Any thoughts welcome.

Andie

Id go to the GP just in case. In my mind it'd be very conincedental for your bubs first ever case of nappy rash to happen at the exact same time identicak spots appear on his legs.

It is a side effect of the vaccine for them to come out in a rash like that, but it is usually harmless. It should have been mentioned on your patient information form that they give you with vaccinations listing all the possible and most common side effects. It does take around the 7-10 days to come out after the vacc.

Signs and Symptoms
    Rubella infection may begin with 1 or 2 days of mild fever (99–100? Fahrenheit, or 37.2–37.8? Celsius) and swollen, tender lymph nodes, usually in the back of the neck or behind the ears. A rash then appears that begins on the face and spreads downward. As it spreads down the body, it usually clears on the face. This rash is often the first sign of illness that a parent notices.

The rubella rash can look like many other viral rashes. It appears as either pink or light red spots, which may merge to form evenly colored patches. The rash can itch and lasts up to 3 days. As the rash clears, the affected skin occasionally sheds in very fine flakes.

Duration
    The rubella rash typically lasts 3 days. Lymph nodes may remain swollen for a week or more, and joint pain can last for more than 2 weeks. Children who have rubella usually recover within 1 week, but adults may take longer.

Professional Treatment
    Rubella cannot be treated with antibiotics because antibiotics do not work against viral infections. Unless there are complications, rubella will resolve on its own.

Home Treatment
    Rubella is typically a mild illness, especially in kids. Infected children usually can be cared for at home. Monitor your child's temperature, and call the doctor if the fever climbs too high.

To relieve minor discomfort, you can give your child acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Avoid giving aspirin to a child who has a viral illness because its use in such cases has been associated with the development of Reye syndrome, which can lead to liver failure and death.

When to Call the Doctor
    Call the doctor if your child develops a fever of 102? Fahrenheit (38.9? Celsius) or above (in a child younger than 6 months, call for a fever above 100.4? Fahrenheit, or 38? Celsius), or if your child appears to be getting sicker than the mild course of symptoms described above.

and heres a pic of the rash - ---- http://www.euro.who.int/images/VPI/measleschild.jpg

Thanks for that info Hollye - DS definitely doesn't look like the child in the pic (poor little bub!). Ta for all that information.

Trillian - The possible side effects were mentioned by the nurse who gave the shots, and I do have the info on the immunisation info sheet. I just suppose I expected any lumps n bumps to occur on his chest, back, neck etc first - but there's no spots there at all. The bad nappy rash and spots on his knees have kind of thrown me a bit ...

Rayray - Thanks. I too think it's a bit too coincidental. I'll definitely take him to the GP if I feel DS is getting worse. I'm keeping a very close eye on him at the moment ...

Thanks again.
    Andie

Default It's hand foot and mouth !!!

Just returned from dr. DS has got hand, foot and mouth disease. So glad I had it checked out. DS must have picked it up from daycare (he started part-time last week). Apparently no other daycare kids have presented with it, but DS has only mixes with a few other kids, and they definitely don't have it as I just checked.

Sigh ... at least it didn't happen next week as that's when I return to work after 14 months maternity leave! Hmm, guess this is the joys of daycare and/or school, huh?

Andie

wow.. is there treatment for that??

im glad you took him to get checked. hope he gets better soon xox

H,F&M is very common. Don't stress

Thanks Hollye and Missymoo ... nah, not stressing ... not really my style .

There's no treatment ... we've just got to wait till the spots go away. At least they aren't itchy spots and DS is his normal little self otherwise. Hopefully he stays that way!

Andie