Thread: Croup?

Default Croup?

DS the last 2 nights, has woken with a barking like sound several times a night,struggling to breathe. The first night, he was staying at his grandparents and we were an hour away. Last night he woke probably 6-7 times quite upset with this barking noise.
    Now, none of my kids has had croup or anything before, and I'm not usually one to try and self diagnose. I did have a very quick look online yesterday for croup info and noticed it said bark like coughing noises among other things.... but I've noticed DS' bark is more to do with his breathing deeply and not so much a 'cough' per say.
    Does that sound like croup?
    I had a very quick search on here this morning and everyone mentions a cough. Is it always a cough? He was also snoring all night and I put my hand on his chest and back and it would vibrate with each breath in and out.

I just wanted to see what people thought. I've had Mum suggest it could possibly be asthma. I'm planning on trying to get him into the doctor today, but chances are we might not be able to get in for a few days so I thought I'd just see what others thought.

It does sound like croup. Not all kids will cough all the time with it, and it's usually only at night. But if he is having trouble breathing easily because the airways are narrowed, it will make him cough if he tries to take a big breathe. Definitely take him to a Dr if you can and get a script for some RediPred and Predmix, which are steroids that open their airways again and help them breathe easier.

It sounds like crop, I agree with Trillian, the cough is worse at night. It is best to get the Prednisolone (Redipred/Predmix) in before the night again, it jsut aids int he recovery and brings releif overnight.

If he is wroking harder to breathe even during the day I would get him into the Dr's to have a look at his chest and listen sooner rather than later
    Take care xxoo

Thanks girls. I've got him in to the docs at 1.30 today. Hopefully he helps him out... usually he just fobs us off with no meds for anything (which I suppose is a good thing... these kids should have awesome immune systems now).
    I'll let you know how we go.

Thanks again for your replies!

If you go in there and ask for the redipred directly then he might not fob you off. When my eldest first got croup at 10 months old the first Dr we saw was a bit of a quack and told me there was nothing to treat it, but the second time we saw a Dr for it, he was shocked that he told me that and that poor DS just had to ride it out.

If my GP fobs me off, I'll be calling Hubby's GP and getting in today to get him checked out. I never get second opinions, but my GP is starting to bug me lately... he doesn't deal with kids very often I don't think.

I hope your GP listens

Well, the GP thinks DS may have asthma aswell as croup.
    He was prescribed Predmix for the next 3 nights, and then we were given 2 ventolin puffers and a spacer. Luckily (or unluckily), my sister had to use a spacer when she was a child, so I know what to do/expect and it didn't freak me out too much.

So we see how the Predmix goes over the next 3 nights and if little to no improvement, we go back.
    Glad he took it seriously.

I am glad the Dr listened and hopefully the Pred kicks in quickly.
    DD had been on Venotlin for 12 months and it really does make a big difference

You will notice a difference tonight - it works really quickly. Glad that he listened to you too so you can get on top of it now.

Thanks ladies! The medication has really helped. He nearly slept all night last night.
    Tonight is the final dose for him.

Fabulous news! Gotta love the effectiveness of the steroids