Thread: DD has chicken pox, what can I do to help?

Default DD has chicken pox, what can I do to help?

We had DD at the doctors yesterday as she was coming down with red spots, and the doc thought it was very likely that it was chicken pox. He took a swab from one of the sores and we'll get the pathology back on Sunday.

But until then, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I can do to help her? I thought yesterday that they werent worrying her, but overnight she was awake every 2 hours crying.

I've been giving her panadol and as soon as DH gets home, I'll go and get some calamine (sp?) lotion, is there anything else I can do?

I don't know what it is called but there is that awful smelling stuff that you put in the bath to stop the itching. I remember it well from when I was about 6 and sitting in it all day with the chicken pox.

Good luck, how horrible to get it just before the 18 month vaccination (if you were planning on having it).

I hope she is feeling better soon.

^^Pinetarsil (sp?)

The only thing you can really do is give panadol and bath in pinetarsil, rub calmamine onto the spots etc.

phernergan might help to...its an anti hystermine that doctors say you can use for allergy type sympthoms. Ask your chemist and they can help by tellign you what the right dosage to give to her.....

Can I ask how long it take to come out in spots??? Mateauz has been extremely cranky, he's hot and sweety and looks like he has a few dots on him......(he played with Kellies DD on sunday)

Handfull of rolled oats in the bath...pinetarsol does STINK!

oh no Maz, I hope he doesnt have it too!
    Doc told me kids usually get a bit of a temp, but Tahlia didnt. She had been a little bit cranky, but I can also see a molar coming through. Her first spot appeared on Tuesday (on her forehead) which I thought was a pimple, and then Wednesday night she had them all on her belly, chest, back and in her hair. I hope Mateauz doesn't have it, I will feel so horrible!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will be taking a trip to the chemist when DH gets home so that I can leave her home with him

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    phernergan might help to...its an anti hystermine that doctors say you can use for allergy type sympthoms. Ask your chemist and they can help by tellign you what the right dosage to give to her.....

Can I ask how long it take to come out in spots??? Mateauz has been extremely cranky, he's hot and sweety and looks like he has a few dots on him......(he played with Kellies DD on sunday)
    Unfortunatly you probably won't be able to get it. We tried when DD was 12 months and it is prescription only now. Our Dr wouldn't write a script cause there is recommendations now that it shouldn't be used for children under 2..

Fingers crossed for you Maz. When DD came out with them, some of her friends showed some signs, but didn't get it...

my two bubs had it a couple of months ago, we used pinetarsol, and a chicken pox ointment called 'sol...', ****, i can't remember. anyway, it was really good, the kids have no scars and they didn't go pussy and revolting. maybe solosite??? sorry, sick and tired, so brain isn't working too well...

Maz - was just speaking to my sister who is a nurse and she said that hopefully Mateauz doesnt have it, cause usually chicken pox incubates for a minimum of 10 days before spots appear... so fingers crossed he's spots are just heat rash or something???

KEll - Mateauz has Cerabal palsey honey and Ive been told he will catch things quicker and faster then other kids....

and babe honestly dont stress....if he's got it, he's got it...and it was worth it cause both of them had so much fun playing together

just had confirmation from the doctor that it is definitely chicken pox

Maz - how is Mateauz now?

he's not as hot as he was...he was up 2 nights ago screaming the house down for an hour (which is just not like him) and he still have the little bumps..and is in a better mood )thank god) today.

Wondering if I should put of his 12 month needles until next month now....ah bugger it will anyway

Hi Guys!

Kellie as you know Matilda had a few suspicious spots that have since gone down but haven't disappeared, she has had a runny nose, cough, sore throat and has been throwing up one bottle a day all the last 3 or 4 days, it turns out that the has a chest infection and is now on antibiotics - Doctor said she is likely to get a fever but as yet she hasn't which is great.

Just thought I would let you know of our outcome. Poor little things all being sick

I hope Tahlia and Mateauz are feeling better soon.