Thread: Dr or wait it out?

Default Dr or wait it out?

My DS (13 months) has been vomiting since Saturday night and hasn't kept anything down since Sunday bekkie including water and breastmilk. He woke at 4am for his usual breastfeed but I didn't give it because I was worried he would vomit, he was very distressed and hungry he woke at 6 retching and his little tummy/body was heaving but there was nothing to bring up.
    I called the Healthdirect line last night and the nurse said tsps of clear fluid for 8 hours today , water I guess, because he won't drink hydralyte etc. But he wants more than a tsp and becomes very distressed. She said it should last 12/24 hours but it's already longer? Should I see a doc or will can they even do anything? Will he dehydrate? Heviscalready more lethargic than usual but then he is sick? I can't explain to him he can't have more water or food, or boobie! It's awful
    Any advice gratefully received!

Personally i'd be going to the dr. Is he still having wet nappies? If he isn't dehyrated yet i'm guessing that they will just suggest the fluids. If he is getting dehydrated dr may want to admit him for IV fluids. Hope he feels better soon hun. big to both of you. xxx

Take him to the dr

If he wasn't distressed and just clearly had a bug, Id say see how he is at the end of the day but in this situation I think take him

hope he gets better asap!

Id go to the docs. A young child dehydrated can become quite serious. Is his mouth dry?

hope he gets better soon.

I hope he improves asap huni. hugs x

Yep, definitely doctor if he's not taking anything at all and is getting lethargic. Hope he feels better soon It's such a horrible feeling that hunger yet being so sick

I'd take him to the Dr if I were you. Hope he's feeling much better real soon

first of all give him a feed asap, even if he vomits some of it up, some in his tummy is better than nothing

If he can't keep fluids down then I'd take him to the doctor, as you know babies can dehydrate so very quickly. Poor little man, hope he is feeling better soon

I'd definately take him to the doctor, and personally I wouldn't be withholding any fluids or food if he wants it. Has been having wet nappies? 8 hours without urinating is dehydration, to make sure he is going you can fold up a tissue and put it in his nappy, that way you can see if he's gone just a little bit and not have to tear the nappy apart to see if there is a little bit in it. Also watch out for cold hands and feet, dry lips, dry mouth and general lethargy.

If he's been vomiting for longer than 24 hrs take him to the hospital.

Poor little mite, I hope he gets better soon xx

The best thing to do if offer bf as much as possible, having short frequent feeds will give him more fluid, and help keep him hydrated.

How's he going hun?