thread: The dreaded pox!!!!

Mar 2006

The dreaded pox!!!!

I was just changing DS2 (6 months) and noticed several fluid filled pustles in his groin & now I'm thinking he might have the dreaded chicken pox. Starting last thursday he ran a fever for several days, was covered in a rash monday and now these pustles. He has been extremeley unsettled over the past week. I've looked at pictures on google and they look very much like early stage chicken pox.

Does it sound like chicken pox? How do I know if it is? What do I have to do? I know it's highly contigous but are the other two older kids considered contagious as well?

Please please please don't let it be chicken pox.

TIA

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Could it be hand foot and mouth?

Mar 2006

I'll have a look at some photos to compare. Thanks Nai

Sep 2009

I sympathise if it is, my little man has it at the mo.

Feb 2006
    Mornington Peninsula, Vic

Hi Liviam, DS2 had it also when he was six months, no idea where he got it from. I took him to the Dr and she diagnosed him straight away with it but also took a swab which came back confirming that it was it. DD and DS1 didn't get it as they had been vaccinated at 18 months, tho I have heard of other kids who have been vaccinated but still got it again. It took DS2 about a week for the spots to go, he was a bit grumpy, but not too bad, slept terribly and to be honest his sleeping went down hill from there. But I just gave him panadol when he seemed to need it and bathed him in pinetarsol and put solosite soothing gel on his spots. For DS2 it seemed to look worse than it was. Good luck. x

Aug 2006

Sorry to hear your little man is not well. Sending you hugs. DD is sick too with a bad virus as are most of the babies I know at the moment.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2009
    Melbourne

The other potential issue could be hand foot and mouth. We have that here at the moment. Initially the doctor wasn't sure if it was chicken pox or hand foot mouth. One of the deciding factors was that the rash was more around legs, feet, hands and mouth, butt and none at all on the tummy or back.

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

there are warnings everywhere at the moment and notes going home with kids from schools about HFM and the fact thats there seems to be an outbreak atm. I'd just get him checked either way. GL. x

Oct 2006
    Melbourne

How is DS today hun?