Thread: Elecare Medical Food

Reeceydoll Guest

Default Elecare Medical Food

Hi Ladies,
    I was wondering if there are any mums out there who have their babies on Elecare Medical Food?
    Have a few questions, and the Doctors dont seem to be able to answer them for me!

Many Thanks
    Cherisse
    Mummy to Jasmin (3) Jett (9 Months)

Hi Cherisse, We haven't yet tried Elecare, but have tried Neocate - another amino acid based formula. My son has intolerances to the proteins in soy, eggs, nuts, seafood, dairy and wheat products. What are your questions, perhaps I can help?

Reeceydoll Guest

My son was born with cystic meconium peritonitis/ileus which resulted in surgery,a stoma and removal of parts of the bowel.. All is well, stoma is closed and when the time came for oral feeds they suggested Elecare because it is pre digested therefore his bowel would not have to work as hard. The thing is we were told we could try him on a "normal" formula and see how he would go, and unfortunately it was not well. He vomitted constantly and had very very loose motions resulting in him loosing a kilo in a weekend. The Doctors werent too concerned thinking it was a stomach bug that had happened coincidently, but when it happened again a month later when we tried him again the same thing happened.
    So chances are he is going to have te remain on Elecare for some time, but a question I have is because he has been on Elecare since he was 3 months old and hasnt had cows milk based formula could he be possible that he has developed some sort of reaction to it? We have tried giving him Heinz custards which results in large bouts of loose motions and pain. You can see why I dont want to just try for the sake of trying as he is only just putting on weight and cant afford for him to lose any more.
    So if you have any suggetions as to what foods I can give him or theories, I would be very greatful
    Many Thanks
    Cherisse
    Mummy to Jasmin (3) Jett(9 months)

Reeceydoll Guest

Thank-you Theresa & Kristie, having you ladies on hand is going to make things a little easier.
    What I really would like help with is the "what do I feed him now". Now that Jett is 9 months old I am wanting to offer different foods, but dont really know where to begin. Any recipes you can offer would be a God send.
    And also, I had bought the Heinz custard powder so I can make him custard, but realise after I had bought it there is cows milk in it. Is there an alternative so I can make him desserts?
    Thanks Again, will chat again soon

Cherisse
    Mummy to Jasmin(3) & Jett ( 9 months)

Reeceydoll Guest

Hi Ladies,
    thanks for the info you have given me so far, Theresa, my email add is [email protected] sorry it has taken me so long to write back. Havent had much spare time lately...teething etc. But thanks again for any information offfered
    Cherisse
    Mummy to Jasmin (3) Jett (9 months)

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    Cherisse if you can give me your email address, I can send you through some recipes to get you started. I might not get them through tonight, but will by the end of the weekend!
    Theresa
    Theresa, I'd love to get some recipes too. My email address is [email protected]

Bonnie is now 8 months and has been on Neocate since she was 3.5 months.... she's VERY fussy with food and it's not going well... so any ideas would be muchly appreciated!

Ta,