Thread: Here we go again, the allergy rollercoaster.

Unhappy Here we go again, the allergy rollercoaster.

Just got home from the ED with DD2.. she had an allergic reaction to yoghurt (kiddy one), hives within 5min all over her mouth, cheeks, throat and chest, her hands where she had touched it.
    Although no breathing difficulties she was swollowing hard etc.

Spoke to nurse on call said take her to Dr within 24hrs, hives spread stuff this small town, no Dr's open straight to hosp, lucky we did, she was wheezing a bit in the car and by the time we got there her cheeks and tongue were a little swollen.

Got her in, rash started subsisiding, cheeks came down a bit, chest cleared gave her redipred and said she's ok to go, get a referral from the Dr to get allergy tests... so here we go again.

Can they do allergy testing on her this young? How much is it going to cost us?
    We got DD1 done through the health nuts study she was 1 and had a reaction to egg but was cleared after allergy testing, should i call health nuts and see if they will test Z for free?

OMG my nerves are shot, when she started wheezing i just wanted to stop and check her but i knew it was best to just get her to the Dr.. i just want to cry.

Off to have big big cuddles with her for the rest of the day, stuff the house work!

Oh no What an ordeal!

I hope they give your DD a free test seeing that she is so young and hope she gets well very soon.
    Huge to Z and to mummy as well.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Hugs hun how scary for you.

A friends DS has just had allergy testing done at 6 and 1/2 months at RCH.

Zarava - X's allergy tests were done for free at RCH at about 8 months. I was told that the waitlist for under 1's is about 3 months and we were given referral by a GP (apparently waitlist for over 1's is about 18months!!!). He was then re-tested at 16 months (rather than the usual year later) given he'd been picked up at a young age.

Big big hugs not fun at all

Thanks everyone, will try for an appointment at the Dr tomorrow and ask for a referral, would prefer to get it checked now rather than later.
    Poor A was very stressed by the whole thing aswell, they tried getting Z's stats on a thing on her foot but she kept moving so they tried her ear and she SCREAMED and poor A was in the pram sooking saying Sissy....

Hopefully she's her normal self soon, still some spots and a bit lethargic though.

aww. poor little ones and poor mummy and daddy. i really do hope she feels better soon. get some anti histamines in incase she has a reaction again. huge hugs to you all. xxxx

Thanks again every one.. it was a VERY LONG NIGHT, she didn't want to settle at all, we paced, she spewed, she had panadol, nurofen we rocked, we sang eventually got her to sleep just after 9, she woke at 10, same thing.. screaming spewing, rocking.... woke every hr until 4:30 and we have been up ever since
    My poor little princess, she's having some breakfast now and seems OK and then hopefully she will go down for a sleep then i will be making a DR's appt and asking for a referral to RCH for allergy testing.
    Am going to keep a 'diary' from now on of her reactions, the foods etc.. i never did with A and when i went and had all her tests done half the questions i couldn't put exact dates too, Z's was more severe so i want to be ontop of it.

When my DS2 had reactions to dairy I had already weaned and he wouldn't take soy formula. So it was soy yoghurt and milk. They don't make a kids soy yoghurt, he used to have the one they keep near the cheeses in the fridge part.
    We got in to see Jo Smart..she is fantatastic and I think also works out of the RCH. We went to her at her Malvern offices, we had to fax the referral letter and the appointments are made on a severity case. We got in within days as DS2 was under 1 and would not take any soy formula.
    If you went private with Jo Smart we paid about $250 for the initial consult which also included allergy testing with the skin p r i c k s on his back, then I think $150 or so for the follow up. You got a bit back from Medicare.
    Next time she has a reaction..take a photo the hives and rash, sounds silly, I did this for DS2 and it helped to show Jo Smart to see what sort of reaction he was having.
    Good luck with it all. The diary is an excellent thing to do.

got a pic of the reaction.... i learnt that from the initial issue with Ava... going to get it printed and keep it in a file... will be showing my gp today.. don't have private health so hopefully we cam get it done free somehow!

I would imagine you'd definitely be able to get to RCH for free, it's just how long you're prepared to wait (and avoiding the suspect foods in the interim). From memory, the GP referral was graded in terms of urgency and I think X's was "second-most" urgent as it didn't impact his day to day feeding IYKWIM (even though as it turns out he was getting the egg & treenuts through my EBM). Oh and FYI, the "system" at RCH takes about 3 weeks to even process the referrals... so I was told to ring & follow-up that they had it after a few weeks! So that gives you an idea as to even the quickest of timeframes. The only other route of I know of is from another girl in my MG who's child had very rare allergies but they got in through ED which made it all quicker (plus I think he was actually admitted).

Diary of reactions is a great idea, and yes we did the photo thing too - very handy. GL today and hope she's feeling better and you get a few moments shut-eye for yourself.

Got a Dr's appt for 2:15 this arvo, she is still not happy at all, slept about 30min in total from 8:30 after being awake from 4:30am.
    She's on the floor having nappy off time and seems OK but not great, she felt warm but temp is normal, she's a little pale and keeps spewing a little, i just want to for her!
    MIL & FIL coming over this arvo so they can watch A while i take Z to the Dr, have typed up yesterdays events, what happened, what she ate, the ingredients and what course of action was taken then attached a copy of the photo (on fb), going to keep it so if/when we get to a paed or RCH i have everything i need.

Had the Dr's appt and i am happy to say she looked at me like a normal mother with rational concerns.
    I showed her the pic of DD as her reaction has lessened and she agreed it looked horrible, i mentioned how irritable she has been so she gave me predmix to give her for the next 2 days and a script for zyrtec, she said she stringly advise i not use it unless necessary (swelling again) which is fine by me but like i said to her i need something here JIC she swells and i don't have time to wait for an ambulance! She totally agreed with me.

We have a referral to the RCH allergy clinic, she has listed her as having an anephelactic (sp?) reaction so hoepfully we will be soon to ASAP, otherwise i am happy to wait, we are not introducing ANY new foods until she has been cleared.
    Today DD1 had yoghurt, then touched DD2 later on and i think she got some residual hives i hadn't even thought about it as DD2 was napping and then DD1 ran off to play... need to be more careful.. anyone wanna come take the tubs and squeezies of yoghurt out of my house?

Thanks so much for the support, i don't nkow what i would have done without BB, your all so helpful and supportive.