Thread: high fever

Default high fever

DS has had a fever since yesterday afternoon, I've given him baby panadol a couple of times which brought it down a little for a few hours at most but it keeps coming back and has been hovering around the 39 degree mark. Is this too high for a 14 month old?

He's very hot but overall still quite chipper, so not really sure if I should bother with the doctor or not. He hasn't lost his appetite and I've been keeping up his fluids, water and extra breastfeeds. Not really sure if it's an infection as he isn't displaying any other symptoms or could it just be teething? He's never been sick before so this is all very new to me! Any advice?

TIA

You can give baby nurofen in conjunction with baby panadol if one does not bring the temperature down to your satisfaction. Other than that it sounds like you are doing everything right, keeping his cool and hydrated. If it creeps up any higher, or doesn't respond to medication, or if you see any other symptoms that cause you worry then a trip to your GP's will put your mind at rest, or to A&E if you can't get a quick GP appointment.

i'd go the the Gp just for peace of mind. bubs that age do get temps that high though. you sound like you are doing the right things though. hope your bub is better soon

Thanks ladies
    I gave him some nurofen and that seems to be working. So will keep and eye on him today and if there is no improvement we'll be off to the doc tmw. He wasn't too keen on lunch but was quite happy to munch on bikkies so he can't be feeling toooo sick

Hi,
    I would take him to get checked out. Just for peace of mind..... My DS gets tonsilitis every 6 to 8 weeks, he gets fevers that high, and seems quite happy, I always take him at the first signs now as a few times I have been surprised to discover that he has a bad ear infection (bulging ear drum caused by the tonsilitis) and that his tonsils are really swollen, such a tough little fella he is lol.

I believe it is better to feel like an over worried hypochondriac Mummy, then to wait longer and feel really guilty if they are sicker then they let on IYKWIM hee hee.

Sounds like you are a great Mummy and doing all the right things, best of luck for your appt tomorrow xo

when ds was 18 months he had a fantastically high fever like that for a few days. We had no idea what to do. We ended up putting him in some undies and lying him down under an air conditioner (it was summer) and tried to get him to suck on an ice block. At the end of the 2nd day, it still hadn't come down, even with panadol and MIL and I took him to the hosp. He was a perfectly normal child at triage for his obs then 5 mins later, MIL was cuddling him and he started to convulse. She handed him to me and both of us started shouting for the nurse. She came running... It was a bit of a blur for about 5 mins while they raced around. The nurse carrying him called out "I need a bed and a crash cart!" oh gosh, thats the worst words. He had stopped breathing. He had a febrile convulsion. He stayed in over night and just before he had a 2nd seizure at 2am we spotted the signs and gave him panandol and nurofen. We had to keep that up for a few days, but he was right to go home in the morning.

Panadol can be taken with nurofen. One is every 4hrs and the other every 6hrs.

If you're worried, take him to see someone.
    Best of luck xx