Thread: How to get rid of phlegm?? PLease help!

Exclamation How to get rid of phlegm?? PLease help!

DS is not even a month old and he seems to have phlegm trapped in his throat as well as a stuffy nose Sometimes I can hear the phlegm when he breathes. It's really worrying me because when he tries to cough it up or swallow it he starts to choke on it and has a lot of trouble breathing. His throat and chest retracts and gets all constricted and I'm terrified he'll choke on it and stop breathing.

What can I do to get rid of it?? I hate seeing him so miserable and frustrated

You can try putting him face down and gently hitting his back with an open hand. Cover the whole back.

Putting him in the bathroom when you have a hot shower will help moisten it and make it easier for him to move.

Have you been to the doc?

I swear by our vaporiser. It moistens the air and the vapours really do help DD to breathe through her nose easier.
    You can go for some fess to clear out his nose too. It is horrible, but it can be very helpful to them and they get used to it.
    If its just a cold, then sadly you just have to wait it out. But I too would see your dr to make sure it is just a cold and not something more serious that needs extra attention.
    Good luck - I hope he is much better soon.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

My DD was like this at the same age and I did lots of putting her face down on my lap and hitting her back with an open hand as MotherGoose suggested. Make sure you put a chuckrug/towel on your lap because he will probably vomit when he brings the phlegm up. Do this whenevery you think he sounds rattelly.

Thanks for the tips ladies

Am seeing th MCHN today so will talk to her about it and also on the look out trying to find a paedi as well.

Will try cupping/patting his back & if no help might get a vapouriser.