Thread: Lactose Intolorance test info needed ASAP

Default Lactose Intolorance test info needed ASAP

Long story short, went to take DD for a blood test to check LI and was told its a 10-12 hour fasting and a lactose drink and 7 needles in 2 hours. With them bubs out there that are LI how did you find out? surley i dont have to put her through this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

anyone?????????

Matryoshka Guest

My baby was tested for lactose intolerance around 6 weeks old, and a sample of fresh pooh was taken (ie, she caught it in a cup) and sent to a lab for testing. We were told he was no lactose intolerant.

But from my own googling, it seems theres another more accurate test which may be what they want her to have?? i'm only guessing here but thats a long time to fast for such a young baby...

Usually they will do either an elmination test or a hyrdogen breath test. The principle being the hydrogen breath test is that when the gut reacts, it produces hydrogen, which it wouldnt normally produce. An elimination diet can be used in conjunction with a skin pr!ck test. If the skin pr!ck comes negative for allergic reaction but there is still some sort of dietary rection then it is more likely an intolerance.

Lactose intolerant bubs will usually have pea green Diahorreah. They may also have vomitting and reflux, but vomitting and reflux can be unrelated, and are often mis diagnosed as LI when the diahorreah is not present. She will also act like she has a belly ache. She will also struggle to gain weight on any dairy based formula that has not had the lactase enzyme added (Karicare De-lact and S26 LF).

We did the elimination diet and the skin pr!cks, Elimination was around 14 weeks old and skin pr!cks were at 12 months. We can still tell just by the reaction what has hidden dairy.

thanks girls. I rang him and said im not doing the blood test bit and he said thats fine because 1 of the 3 poo samples i have to take are being tested for Lactose Intolorance.

mmm one thing to remember is that lactose intolerance tests don't mean that he isn't intolerant to milk proteins, or allergic either. Matilda was tested for lactose intolerance at 11 months and it was negative, we did 3 tests. When she was 3 we did allergy testing and it showed she was severely allergic to cow milk protein.

christy - thanks for that info. She is having blood tests done aswell. I have made the decision that if it comes back all clear then im going to put her on a elimination diet and see if that makes a difference. I was thinking a soy diet???

Also if this comes back clear then I will be getting sent to Albury so see another pead (im not happy with the one ive seen here) and will be getting organised to have a look inside her tummy to make sure all is developing properly.

Default Hi

Hi,

My name is Alice,

I have 2 girls and 1 boy born 25th Jan 2009 and 2 of my children have lactose intolerance. I found that they would have severe wind pains and 1 of the primary things I noticed was that they both had bubbles in their bowel movements. My formula experience with my daughter showed me that she have both dairy and dairy intolerance since she would also react to the formula with any whey, milk protiens ect with extremely acidic bowel movements to the point where 2 poo's and her bum would be bleeding. My son only seems to have the lactose intolerance which seems better but he can't handle the wind at all to the point where he wouldn't even suck from my boob.
    If your baby has these symptoms it is likely that they are lastose intolerant.
    I am also of Native American decent which if researched shows that 80 to 100% of Native Americans have lactose intolerance.
    They also say that Asian, African American and other decents have a high percentage of lactose intolerance.
    My older daughter has thrived even though she had to be put on soy formula so I have done the same with my son. Having the assurance that she did absolutely fine and has progressed above average with everything!!
    I am confident that it was the best choice and that if it happens that anyone elses baby has lactose intolerance, not being able to breastfeed although sad and disappointing we always need to remember and find reassurance in the fact that a healthy, happy and growing baby is always best.

Regards,

Alice
    Last edited by Alice H; March 29th, 2009 at 12:57 AM.

The thing is if the blood tests are for lactose intolerance and she isn't lactose intolerant, they won't show food allergies up.... Personally, after the tests before you get your results try going off all dairy. A goats milk formula will be the closest to breastmilk you can get, so try that. And no solids with milk, so no yoghurt, no cheese etc...

well tomorrow we run out of her normal formula.. and i have a soy tin.. is that ok?