Thread: Likelihood of baby catching chicken pox from sibling?

Default Likelihood of baby catching chicken pox from sibling?

DS was exposed to chicken pox at daycare and tonight I have found a spot behind his ear which I think is a chicken pox spot. I guess I will only know the extent over the next few days.

I am not so worried about him having it but my DD is only 9 mths old and hasn't been vaccinated yet. I know it is a highly contagious disease can I keep DD from catching it? She is still being breastfed will that provide any assistance? What can I expect?

Thanks

I think the contagious period is before the spots appear? So chances are your dd has already been exposed..have you had chicken pox? If you have then your BM will help her, but she may still get it. FWIW a lot of kids that have been vaccinated get chicken pox anyway. If it is chicken pox I hope you get through it ok!

My kids got Chicken Pox in Kinder, DD2 was 4 mths old at the time and she got them.

Good luck, I hope it isn't Chicken Pox.

The chances are fairly significant, it is quite contagious, but you are right, she will receive some antibodies from your milk (if you have had chicken pox before) that may reduce the severity of the disease if she catches it.

we have no idea where we got chicken pox from, but miff got them at 3 months, and xavi got them, he would have been 21 months. but we had such an insignificant case of it, our dr even did blood tests to have to confirm it was chicken pox!! so lucky. plus, i have never had them, so my resistance is 0%, and i didn't catch them..

My older brother and sister got chickenpox when I was only 3 months old. I caught it too but my mum just breastfed me around the clock to help me with antibodies. The only thing I have to remember that by is one scar on my leg as I could reach that spot and scratch it without mum noticing. Mum said it was frustrating having a baby with chickenpox but now that I have had them I don't need to worry about it any more!

Like the PP have said, the infectious period is before the spots appear and the 'gestation' period of the virus is about 14-21 days. So if he was exposed 2-3 weeks ago you would expect the herald spot to appear on his head or torso about now. The most important thing is to stop them scrating the spots as that is what makes them scar. My mum used calomine lotion and it worked well but I think there are other things available now. GL

Thanks for all your replies. I have had them before so hopefully that would help the baby if she was to get them. I am more confused this morning as the spot I thought looked like chicken pox last night (it was like a pimple surrounded by red skin) has gone and there are no new spots. I expected to get up and find him covered. He slept badly and kept waking, was hot and scratching but this morning nothing. He isn't hot, no spots, not miserable...Guess will have to wait and see. It has been 11 days since exposure so it will surface in the next few days.

Here's hoping nothing happens as a baby with the full case of chicken pox is rather scary to me.