Thread: Need help quick!

Default Need help quick!

Charlie just vomited 5 times and has a temp of 38.1. He looks really sad and sleepy but not sure if he is just tired or is lethargic. My kids don't even get colds so i have no idea what to do here? Please help.

Hmm i dont know but id be off to the dr now...

but thats just me

Get Charlie to the Dr hun, just to be on the safe side. He could also be abit dehydrated so try and keep the fluids up. Hope your little man feels better soon. Its sad when the little ones are sick. hugs to both you and Charlie.

the high temp would concern me. Take him up to the doctors if you can. Hope you are both okay.

I would take him to the Dr too.

I was told by my Dr that if a childs temp is 38 take them for Dr assistance, if it is 39 go straight to the hospital.

Hope Charlie is feeling better soon.

Grr the doctors will not see him. They are apparently too full even when i said he is only 2 and is sick. He is crying in pain and they still wouldnt. Told me to take him to hospital. I have a newborn and a 4yo. I cant wait at the hospital for 6+hrs as the local hospital it pathetic that way. I might ring up GP after hours at 6 but not sure what to do until then.

Hun do cool compresses on his head and hands. Offer water or extremely diluted juice or gastrolyte if you have it. Just a sip at a time. Let him lay and watch his favourite show on a towel or blanket you can wash with a bucket and sit with him. Thats all you can do. Try to get him to rest & keep him cool. If his temp goes above 39 take him to the hospital.

Anthia, most Dr's surgerys have 'space' for emergencies. Who told you he couldnt be seen? Was it the Dr or the receptionist. I would call back and demand to get in.

are there any other gps u could go 2?

After reading Christy's post, I agree with her. He is obviously fighting some sort of infection and the body having a temperature is it's natural fighting mechanism. Because he is throwing up so much, it is REALLY important that he keeps having sips of fluid, or icypoles or jelly are classed as fluid too.

Try not to stress too much either, it will just worry DS too and make the bubs play up.

The receptionist went and asked the doctor when i basically begged her to see him and they said we have absolutely no room for him.

No other gp near us will see us cause they have all closed their books.

Tis ok, you can handle this and it might be better not to drag the lot of you out. Do the compress and fluids thing, keep him quiet on the couch and try the Nurse On Call.

Hi Antheia,

how are things now? Did you get someone to see him?

It isn't entirely uncommon for people to vomit with a temp - it is the body's way of coping. Often people feel a bit better afterwards. But if the person didn't pick up or became worse, it would be cause for concern.

a temp of 38.1 is scary but ok. Remember that fever is the body's way of fighting whatever it is dealing with. If it was a prolonged fever (a few days) or couldn't be controlled with panadol, then I would be a little concerned.

Is it possible he is getting his 2 year molars? If he is, the pain would cause his temp to spike and also to vomit. Vomiting is a very common reaction to pain.

Definately do as Christie suggested. Cool compress, keep up fluids. If he won't take fluids or can't keep them down, squirt 10mls into him mouth every 20 minutes or so. I am a big fan of peadalyte. It is a kids version of gastrolyte. If he won't take that, some watered down lemonade (flat) is ok. Foods to encourage him to eat are good energy ones. Dry toast, bread, bananna.

I hope he is ok now. I'm sorry I didn't see this yesterday - I was on the late shift.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Is it possible he is getting his 2 year molars? If he is, the pain would cause his temp to spike and also to vomit. Vomiting is a very common reaction to pain.
    You know i am thinking this is what it possibly was.Because for the last couple of weeks he has been terribly whingy and out of character.Then a few days ago one of his cheecks was bright red. Then this yesterday.

When 6pm came he was right as rain so i didnt take him.We just gave him panadol once and his temp went back to normal and he was happy again.

So hopfully it is just the teeth. It was scary though as like i said they dont even get colds so i have no idea how to handle a proper sickness!

You did well Antheia. Even with my back ground I sometimes freak when DD is ill. It is natural when it's your own child. Just keep an eye on him. If you think it is his teeth and the fever and any other symptoms are caused by pain, give him a dose of panadol and see how it goes. It should be enough to settle him a bit. If you're positive it is teeth and panadol isn't enough to curb the pain, you can give a dose of panadol and neruofen together (don't exceed the recommended doses though) at the same time which will give better and longer pain relief.

HTH

MG