Thread: need some advise DD's high temps/diarrhea :(

Question need some advise DD's high temps/diarrhea :(

I took DD to the doctors today, shes had raging high temps since midday yesterday n all through the night , shes off her food.. the doctor said it must be a virus but gave me some antibiotics prescription incase to give to her tomorow if things havent improved..

the question i have is, shes just in the last few hours after seeing the doc she's had really bad diareah(can't spell sorry tmi) Since about 430pm , ive had to change her nappy 3 times, shes drinking abit of fluids a few little sips when shes able to not alot tho... what else can i do, im really worried about her, she has those faraway sick looking eyes its horrible , shes been sleeping on and off on my chest but wakes up with little night terrors and chcks to make sure shes still with me.. Any tips or suggestions, she was having panaol but got my hands on some nurofen just waitng a few more hours so i can give her some more, her temps still hifgh 38-39 atm!

Its terrible when they are so sick. Are you able to get her to the hospital? Thats what I would be doing - they may not be able to do much but I would be getting her checked out. They may gove her some fluids.
    I hope she gets better soon xox

Is she really lethargic? Are you able to put her in a lukewarm bath to try and help her temp? I know it's probably a bit late to be putting her in a bath though.
    Maybe try and give her some electrolytes..the name escapes me atm, but there are iceblocks you can buy which are great for rehydration. If you are really worried about her though I'd consider taking her to emergency if you can get there..little ones can go downhill so quickly. Hope she is better soon, sounds like you've had an awful time of it the last couple of days!

If there is vomitting with the diahorreaha (sp?) and the high temp I would be taking her to her hospital or a 24hr clinic. More to ease your mind and they are likely to make her a priority given her age and symptoms.
    If you can't get to one, ring Nurse on Call 1300 60 60 24 and see what they have to say, even ring the after hours medical care 03 9429 5677 and see if a Dr can come to you. It doesn't sound like AB's are going to work as it does sound viral.
    I would be keeping her with you all night and try and get some fluids into her. Keep up with the panadol.
    I hope your little girl it better soon BC

High temps can come with gastro viruses. I'd be more worried about her hydration, keeping her fluids up. If you are concerned it never hurts to get them checked out, even just to put your mind at ease. Do you have Medcall's number?
    hope she's better soon hun.

ETA - Pming you Medcall number

My niece was really sick a few months ago, couldnt keep anything down and my dad brought her a purple drink from the chemist, i think its what ss_storm is talking about, that kept her fluids up.

Hope she's better soon!!

Thanks girls, i just made her up some jellies for tomorow might, go into town tomorow to get those electrolyte(is that wat u call them?) at the chemist?
    shes finally asleep for the moment.. might try and get some sleep too...
    i managed to get her drink some more water when i gave her the nurefen so thats good! luckily she sleeps in my bed anyway ill be able to keep an eye on her tonight n check her temps again xx

SS storm- yeh shes really tired sleeping on and off on my chest just looks really drained and drowsy all the time ill see how she goes overnight shes still pretty warm but asleep for now, if she wakes up ill maby try some cool washes etc wish us luck xx thx again hun

hope she's better in the morn hun... when all else fails jump in a luke warm shower with her and the icy poles are hydrolite, taste like crap but great for dehydration!
    If your worried no harm in going to the hosp, if you can even if she's hot and in your bed try and keep a sheet b/w you, your skin contact will make her warmer and her warmth will get annoying.... hun your doing everything right.
    I remember when A had a reaction after her needles and was hih temps etc. at 11pm i was in a cold shower with her and then sat in my room watching wiggles eating icypoles and rubbing her with a cool cloth

Nurofen is best for getting the temps down fast, but panadol helps to keep the temp down. You can use both and it is fine and has been recommended to me by a few Dr's now. I would give her the next dose of nurofen and then in between doses give some panadol.
    I hope your DD is feeling much better real soon

Hope she's feeling better for you this morning.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting her temperature down - as someone has said, it's normal for them to have high temperatures with a viral infection. Your main priority now is keeping her hydrated. If she isn't any better today, I would take her in to your hospital for an assessment in case she needs more aggressive rehydration. You can certainly stagger her panadol and nurofen, but make sure you stick with the directions on the bottl (ie. no more than four doses of panadol and three doses of nurofen in the day). And I wouldn't give the antibiotics until you've had her assessed by the hospital ED, preferably by their paediatrician - I don't think they'll do any good.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Zarava Flutterby ~ View Post
    the icy poles are hydrolite, taste like crap but great for dehydration!
    That's the one! Thanks hun...had a complete mind blank! Lol.

How is she this morning? Hope she is feeling even the tiniest bit better

Hope she's a bit better this morning hun.

ss_storm - only know cos i have a pack of JIC ones in the freezer...

Hope your little girl is better this morning. How did you go through the night?

Thx everyone, last nite was abit better than the night before she and i got abit more sleep still woke up and was abit warm this morning, not as hot as she has been tho.. she still wouldnt have her breakfast so tried her on some jelly/ fluids and managed to get abit into her.. shes keeping her fluids up to which is gd shes still really sleeepy/drowsy tho.

I'm trying the alternating between the panadol and nurefen, im actually finding the panadol to be better as i dont have to wait as long to give it to her
    nurofen is every 6-8hours and panadols every 4hours.

shes still attatched to me by the hip, i actually dont remember the last time i went to the toilet by myself lol,
    im actually starting to feel not 100% myself really off but its probbly just lack off energy etc

Thanks heaps for your support ive been pretty lucky so far for her to make it this far to have only been really sick like this now at 17months. xx

Hello,

Hope your little one is feeling better.

Someone suggested staggering the panadol and nurofen..... Definately agree to that one. My DD1 used to get raging temps at 40 to 41.5..... she was one sick little girl for the most part of the first 2 years of her life. The Pediatrician told me to give her panadol and 2 to 3 hours later give her the nurofen..... BUT the biggest thing to remember is that Nurofen is really bad for an empty stomach so you need to make sure you get a little something into her, a little biscuit or toast or anything she will eat. The reason being is that it irritates their stomach, causing pain and discomfort.

Not a lot of people are aware of that, and really the dr's and chemists need to be explaining this to people when we buy it, but I guess that's the way things are, we have to find these things out by chance most of the time IYKWIM lol

Best of luck xo