Thread: roseola/rubella

Default roseola/rubella

ok DD2 is sick (again) had temps for a few days, temp went then got rash, its on her trunk mainly, a little behind the ears. she isnt immunised (yet) so im worried about rubella as they rash's are similar, she also has enlarged lymph glands in her neck, anyone's child had roseola with swollen glands? im worried that its rubella off to the dr but not until this arvo

Hey Olive, we have had a few episodes of fever then rash - and our DR says there are so many varieties of these viruses you never really know which one they've got.
    If she is generally well - then you should be ok - swollen glands and rash are both natural reactions to a virus. Any fever or mild pain should be treated with pamol type liquid and love and cuddles, with lots of water. I found DS didnt eat much when sick - so offer more breastfeeds if she will take it.
    But if the rash does not fade when you press her skin, she is very upset, or has other symptoms like tugging ears, bad cough etc - definitely go see a Dr asap. You don't want to try and fight infections at home - and the non-fading rashs are the ones you need to check out.
    Hope she is better asap xx

thanks darl! i wouldnt be so worried if she was part immunised with MMR

Olive Kodi had the thing earlier this year, it ended up being roseola & a throat infection.
    Seems like our DD2 are always sick at the same time, Kodi has another throat infection now, Hope your DD feels better soon

I'm not 100% sure about the glands, but Munchkin had roseola once. She had temps for a few days and once the temp dropped the rash appeared. The doctor I saw said it was something you saw predominantly with roseola.
    I could be wrong, but its still a sickness and swollen glands mean fighting something?

definitely see a dr though.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    ok DD2 is sick (again) had temps for a few days, temp went then got rash, its on her trunk mainly, a little behind the ears. she isnt immunised (yet) so im worried about rubella as they rash's are similar, she also has enlarged lymph glands in her neck, anyone's child had roseola with swollen glands? im worried that its rubella off to the dr but not until this arvo
    Lots of viruses are going around atm. DD was diagnosed with Slap Cheek (Parvo virus/fifth virus?) and gastro. She has rosy red cheeks, swollen glands, high temps & vomitting & diahorrea.

My son had a virus like that- our doctor may have said roseola but I remember "viral measles" which was his way of explaining to us that it was *like* measles but it wasn't as it's a virus. He was about the same age and we had delayed the MMR vax too so we did get raised eyebrows when the doctor first saw it and asked if he was vaccinated. One thing I wish I'd thought to do was warn the doctor's office so they can ensure you are isolated from other patients when waiting, just in case it is rubella and there is someone else there who is pregnant, a young baby etc. We just went to the doctor as normal and I felt so awful when I realised later what we had done.
    Good luck- I'm sure she'll be fine

DS had exactly the same thing a week and half ago. He'd had a little bit of a cold, got an ear infection, then just as that cleared up and his temp went down he broke out in a rash that looked like german measles to me. I took him back to the GP and she told me that it was to do with the virus he'd had, it's the body having a reaction to it and it shows that they are no longer contagious and that it is nearing it's end. His was pretty much gone the next day, all up I think he had it for only about 36 hours. HTH

what happened? Is she okay? Both my girls have had roseola.

DS has had rubella (he is immunised but we found out later he has issues with his immune system which are still being investigated). Google rubella as the doctors all looked at the rash and said it looked exactly like german measles as soon as they saw it (2nd one came in for 2nd opinion as it is very rare in an immunised child). He was sick the same as being normal sick, but you should determine what he has as you need to stay away from babies, other non immunised children and especially pregnant women.