Thread: Should I take her to the doctors?

Default Should I take her to the doctors?

Harlee is 6 weeks now and yesterday I noticed she has started to get alot of boogers up her nose and she sounds rattely when she cries. She has also been coughing after feeding and when she is trying to go to sleep. It also sounds like she is choking alot of the time
    Im was thinking of taking her to the doctors today just to be on the safe side, but does this just sound like a noraml cold? Its very chilly outside and if its nothing to be too concered about then Id rather keep her indoors.. Today I woke up with the sniffles too so what ever she has, I think its been passed on.
    Opinions? Is there anything I can give to her, or take myself?
    thanks

Has she already had her 6wk check-up?
    Normally at 6wks both of you would go to the Drs and just have a bit of a check-up, have you had that yet?
    Poor little thing, i would suggest to make sure you have LOTS of water, maybe some orange juice, try and rest so you don't get run down, keep her all warm and rugged up.
    I'm not sure if there is an issue with using a vapouriser in their rooms at this age but thats a good idea if she's got a bit of a blocked nose, they work wonders! Just check it's ok for her age.

I had the 6 week check up yesturday, it was at the birth centre.. All it was was a 'how are you' and 'goodbye'. I told them that I think she is sick and they told me to see a doctor if I was worried.
    I might get my mum to bring us her vaporiser. Thanks!

Parker has lots of boogies and rattly at times and sounds like he's choking and it comes down to his reflux
    A couple of drops of warm water up the nose helps clear the boogies out
    Keep feeding her and hopefully it will clear soon

Oh really, how rude... we were told to have our 6wk check-up with our GP, i had this with both girls, the GP checked me and also went right over the girls... maybe book in with your GP for a 6wk check for the both of you and mention it while there, doesn't hurt for the GP to get to know bubs from early on.
    Otherwise yeah lots of feeds, cuddles and fluids for you, sometimes it's good to raise the head of the cot/basinette etc aswell.

Personally, I would probably go to the GP, but more for peace of mind than anything... I always find it reassuring to rule things out like ear infections or chest infections (but that's just me). How's her temperament? If she is generally happy and not lethargic then I would say it's nothing to worry about, just a cold... Does she have a temp at all, I remember my MCHN saying that for babies under 3 months you should take them to the GP if their fever is 37.5 or over (then 38 or over for 3 to 6 months and after that over 38.5).

I would definately get a vaporiser and have it in her room whenever she is sleeping. Also a saline nasal spray works really well to clear out their noses and also there are these little snot sucker things that you can get to clear out their noses. They work well, but can be a bit upsetting to administer. The other thing I've found that helps in propping up the cot so that when they are sleeping the mucus isn't running down their throat. HTH