Thread: Is this a temperature?

Default Is this a temperature?

DS2 was feeling a bit hot so i took his temp under his arm. It was 37.2. Is this a temperature? He is 8 weeks old.

I would say over 38 is a temp. Hope hes ok darl! Its worrying isnt it

It's not theoretically, but it could be on the way up so keep checking it. Hope your lil guy is OK.

Over 37.3 is a temp but not in need of treating. Over 38 use baby paracetamol - that's what my GP said. A high temp - say over 39 you will be able to feel even before you put the thermometer near your child.

Yeah, its a temp. lol.

Fever is 38c and above. Treat, hydrate, monitor. If it reaches high 39s-40s or stays over 38c for 24hrs, get to the hospital - safe side and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by satya View Post
    Over 37.3 is a temp but not in need of treating. Over 38 use baby paracetamol - that's what my GP said. A high temp - say over 39 you will be able to feel even before you put the thermometer near your child.
    Sorry, Satya, but I feel I should correct you there.

In young babies - less than a few months - it is normal for the temperature to be anything from 36.5 to 37.5. Over 38 degrees is a fever.

In older children and adults, we would call anything above 37 degrees a "low-grade" fever - as one of the other posters said, not really a fever, but worth monitoring for a while to see if it will turn into one.

Under a year, if your child has a fever, it is always worth getting it checked out by a doctor.

Over a year, if they have a fever but are otherwise well, then it is okay to watch them at home - it is usually a minor viral infection and they will get better on their own. Just keep the fluids up to them.

If they have a fever and other symptoms, then it is worth getting them checked out as well.

Honestly, we rarely take temperatures at home. You'll usually know when your little ones are sick long before you get the thermometer out.