Thread: Vomiting - worth a trip to doctors?

Default Vomiting - worth a trip to doctors?

At about midnight last night DS, 17 months, woke up. I gave him a quick b/feed and he went back down. Then I heard what sounded like him throwing up over the monitor, so I went in and checked on him and he had vomited up everything he'd had for tea and lots of milk too. I cleaned DS up, changed his sheets, etc, gave him another b/feed and put him to bed again. Then I hear him vomit again, so go in and change DS and change his sheets again.
    I then decide to have DS sleep in with me and DH. Through the night DS vomited every couple of hours - to the point that he didn't have anything left in his stomach to bring up. He's quite willing to drink water and have b/feeds, but he seems to bring everything up again eventually.

DS seems otherwise fine - no fever, but very tired of course. I'm a bit worried about him getting dehydrated as he doesn't seem able to keep anything down for very long. Is it worth a trip to the doctors, or does it just sound like a tummy bug that will pass?

id say that as long as hes taking some fluid that he wont get dehydrated too quickly poor chooken, but if the vomitting continues throughout the day then id take him

Oh poor widdle man I agree with Olive, if he keeps vomiting, or it gets worse, def go to the Drs.

Hope he gets better quickly hun

I would wait 24 hours before heading to the doctors if he has no symptoms other than vomiting (ie. no rash, no fever, no pain on urination...). Keep giving him small, frequent sips of water and small BF's, very plain food if he is hungry. Keep him quiet today at home. The fact that he is happy to still drink is a good sign. You will know if he is dehydrated as he will not wee very much (and it will be dark and smelly), his lips and tongue will be dry and he will be very listless. If he keeps having sips of water he should be fine, even if it comes up pretty quickly. I assume your DS is usually fit and well and doesn't suffer any chronic illnesses, such as diabetes etc?

A doctor will not do anything for your DS at this stage and if it is a bug, taking him to a busy doctor's surgery will just spread those germs out into the community. If you are very concerned, you could give the practice a call, do they have a nurse you could speak to?

Having said all that, you are the best judge of you DS's health and if you think he needs a doctor you should take him. I hope he feels better soon!

Thanks girls.

He's still drinking heaps of water, and he's quite happy at the moment watching Thomas. The vomiting tends to happen when he changes position, or like this morning when I was holding him and must have squeezed his belly a bit. I guess I'll see how he goes through the day.

how is he this arvo darl?

No more vomiting today, though he did do the biggest, grossest poo ever earlier this afternoon. DS has been drinking a lot still, and sleeping a lot - but is otherwise fine. DH is giving him a bath now - finally washing the spew smell away.

I think he'll be fine now though - first tummy bug over and done with hopefully.

Glad to hear he is over the worst. Sounds like his system has cleaned everything out now.

Big hugs to you both

Poor little man!! I'm glad it seems to have left his system... spew is gross for all parties involved!