Thread: What could this rash be, please help

Default What could this rash be, please help

DD has been unwell since last Wednesday, started off with cold like symptoms, fever, runny nose, after a couple of days she was up for two nights screaming with what seemed like stomach pains. On Monday she came out in a rash on her tummy and back so took her to the GP who said it was a virus and that the rash was viral. Yesterday the rash disappeared completely but today when she woke an hour ago she now has another rash but different to the first. Under her arm and on her leg she has like a big red blotch and on her face and tummy and some on her arms little white spots with redness around them. They don't seem to be itchy and she doesn't seem bothered by it at all apart from still being grumpy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Dianne

Hives?
    Heatrash?
    Shingles??? (although I assume she hasn't had chickenpox)
    Stress?
    Some Immune Disorder (her body creating a rash on itself to try and fight something like a cold?)?
    Food allergy?

Sorry can't help...just some suggestions.

not sure, maybe you could take her to the GP again or even go and show someone at the chemist and see what they say. i hate rashes, they are very hard to 'self' diagnose!

By the sounds of it, my bub has the same rash. It started over 2 months ago and it is still appearing every few days. I've been to a doctor, dermatologist and naturalpath but still no result. A month ago, the dermatologist concluded that it was a post viral rash however I have my doubts as if it was, I would think that it would be gone by now. Initially, it was quite hive-looking however now it comes and goes looking like mosquito bites then flat red spots.

Have you managed to find out as yet? Is it still appearing?

is she on any antibiotics? or medicine?
    could be heat rash, but the white spots with red around sounds like an allergic reaction/ vfiral rash

my DD had this then got blisters on hands and feet, was hand foot and mouth so get her checked out

My DD has just come up with a rash all over her face It started yesterday on one side of her face, on her ear, neck and shoulder and now it is on both sides but not on the trunk of her body.

I was told it is a viral infection and just to put sorbolene cream on it twice a day, it looks so uncomfortable for her and it is quite distressing as her mummy to see this on her.

I am wondering when it is going to go away as well. She is still bf normally and plenty of pooey and wet nappies, I just feel for the little poppit.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

My DD had a rash like that last week and it was a viral rash (she had an ear infection). Doctor said that if you apply pressure to it and the spots dissappear where you applied pressure and also if the spots are not actually bumpy then it's viral, if they dont' dissappear or they are bumpy or pussy then it's something else. If in doubt though, go to the GP again. It's better to go and be told that it's nothing then not to go again and realise that you should have.

Quote Originally Posted by danniellabella View Post
    Doctor said that if you apply pressure to it and the spots dissappear where you applied pressure and also if the spots are not actually bumpy then it's viral, .
    That is exactly like my DD's. It disappears when i put pressure and then comes back when the pressure is removed.

Any idea how long she will have it for? And what else i can do to make it better?

Viral rashes usually only last a few days.

I will also add that if the rash looks like burst capillaries (lots of little red lines through it) it is possibly a menninga chocol and you should see your GP straight away. I know no-one in here has described a rash like that, but thought I would add that in case anyone else is looking over this info and needs to know. It is also not a bad piece of info to file away in the back on your mind JIC.

Ali - hope your baby is better soon. Sick babies really are very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by AliBaby View Post
    That is exactly like my DD's. It disappears when i put pressure and then comes back when the pressure is removed.

Any idea how long she will have it for? And what else i can do to make it better?
    My DD only had it for I think a week.

Even if this is all it is, I still recommend going back to the GP JIC.

Another question though: When your DD is hot is the rash worse?

yes when hot it seems to come out more esp after as bf.

Ali, talk to a doctor just in case. It's better to be safe than sorry

we went to the doctor yesterday. do u think i should take her back again? I am seeing the mchn tomorrow morn as well

Quote Originally Posted by AliBaby View Post
    we went to the doctor yesterday. do u think i should take her back again? I am seeing the mchn tomorrow morn as well
    If you went to the GP yesterday then probably just give it a few days. But talk to your mchn about it too. Keep an eye on it for any further spread or changes in the look of the rash/spots and if it's still there in a few days or it changes appearance then I would go to the doctor again just to put your mind at rest.

Actually Ali, does the rash look a bit like pimples? I just realised how young your DD is and I remember that my DD had baby pimples or "milk spots" for several weeks and I think she first got them at about 4 weeks and I don't think they went away until she was about 10 or 12 weeks old. I think I rubbed baby oil and/or sorbaline into her face after each bath and also only bathed her every second day. In fact, I only bathed DD every second day until she started crawling. Babies skin dries very quickly and daily washing actually dries out the skin more and it's important to rub moisturiser onto babies skin after a bath especially at a young age.

Dianne: how is your bub?