Thread: Whooping cough? Croup?

Question Whooping cough? Croup?

I think DS has the symptoms of whooping cough, but how do I tell.

He started getting the flu yesterday. Well it started with him starting to choke then vomitting up his feed. 3 times in one feed.
    Then he had the runny nose & just looking & feeling crappy.
    He vomitted again before bed, but wasn't coughing.
    Now he has that noise when he breathes in while crying & coughing. But the cough doesn't seem like it has heaps of mucous in it.
    He doesn't have a fever.
    He doesn't seem to have strider or any of the croup symptoms.

I can't tell the difference just from google. Its hard to tell the noise from one to the other.
    He has been asleep most of the night with no problems, no coughing fits. His breathing is fine now he's asleep.
    Not much coughing going on. He more coughs when he cries.
    The noise isn't the cough, its the breathing in after.

I don't really want to go to the hospital for no reason again. DD got stung by a jelly fish & we rang them as we were worried about it. The nurse told us to come straight in, then the doc treated me like an idiot for going in.

So...Anyone got any miracle answers for me???

Oh, BTW, he is fully immunised Due for 12 month ones Oops! I missed my appt for them last Monday!
    Last edited by ~clover~; March 16th, 2009 at 04:40 AM.

If you have been immunised against whooping cough you apparently don't make the whoop sound anyway I was told when I had it and just coughed. The only way they can diagnose whooping cough is with a throat swab or blood test, DS had to have it 2 weeks ago cause the GP thought he had whooping cough (he just had a really barking cough and a fever)
    I'd take him to see a GP today.

With whooping cough it depends. You dont always make the whooping cough noise, and you definitely can get it when you've been immunised cos my brother had it as a kid. Go to the GP but make sure they do the test if theres a test to be done, becuase with my brother it took mum 2 GPs and 2 Paeds before they diagnosed it right.

I'd definitely take him to the Dr today.

Croup has a very distinctive sound. The cough sounds like a seal barking! DS had severe croup five times last winter, and the first, I had NO idea about croup.......but I knew what it was straight away because of the distinctive seal bark cough (which I read about on here thanks to SarahH ). Croup almost always attacks overnight, so I think you could probably safely rule it out in this case.

Given that he's been okay overnight I wouldn't stress about going to hospital, I would just get him into your GP today. Good luck!

Dont take a chance with whooping cough, go in to Dr today. It's definitely going around and needs treatment straight away. I hope it's not it, but check anyway. Good luck xo

Ok.
    I'll give my gp a ring & hope he's there today. I know its definetely going around in my area.

He's still sleeping ok atm. Maybe when he wakes up he'll be ok. I hope so. He only just got over a tummy bug a bit over a week ago.

Thanks heaps guys

Going to the GP is a good idea, I've heard there is an outbreak of whooping cough at the moment.

If you google whooping cough sound and click on the 2nd link (the indented one) you can listen recordings of kids with varying degrees of whooping cough. Just look at the right hand side of the page. There is also a video.

Please see your doctor - 'stridor' is a particular type of breathing difficulty which is commonly marked by a noise and a sucking-in under their rib cage when they try to inhale. As a breathing difficulty it is really important to get this checked out. If it comes on suddenly or your little one seems to be struggling for breath, it is an emergency. Go to the hospital.

xxx Really hope it's nothing nasty, and that your DS continues to recover.

i am glad he had an ok night, that must be a relief to you. it is so hard not to worry and over analyse things - esp in the middle of the night!
    Dont let the hospital make you feel silly - ever. you are their mum andit is better to be safe than sorry. you know when something isnt quite right.
    go to the gp just to be safe and let us know how you get along. xxx

I'd most definately go to your gp and have your bub checked.

Last week our DD had a sniffle, went to gp as she sounded quite bloked in her nose, he said she was fine, less than 24 hours later she was gasping and struggling to breath, very very noisy, wheezing, not much coughing. She went from sniffly with a cold to chest and stomach sucked in trying to get air within an hour. I was on the phone to my gp about her noisy breathing when she went downhill and started to struggle to breathe. Rushed to his rooms, then to local hossy where he gave her prednisolone, then we had to take her to the next town over to the big hossy, they hooked her up to monitors etc and said she had croup. Was given predmix again the next day and now she is nearly all better.

I have never been so scared in my life! She was fine with a sniffle then struggling to breathe, and that was daytime, I am so glad it happened in day time rather than at night time. We live in small town, ambo's come from next town over, if you go to the local hossy you have to wait for one of our gp's to come up to see you. So it was quicker for us to put DD in the car and drive the 30 mins to the hossy in the next town than wait 30 mins for the ambo to arrive for her.

I hope your little one improves soon and is okay.

Well he's up now & other than a bit of a cough & flu symptoms he seems fine.
    Not sure if I'll worry about the gp just yet.
    I think maybe the sound was coz he had a sore throat. It was more hoarse than the whooping cough sounds I just listened to & he wasn't struggling for breath like that. I'm trying to listen to croup sounds but my silly pc isn't cooperating!

I would still take him to your gp, sounding hoarse is what my DD was like at the start and she went downhill fast with croup. The Dr's in A&E said there had been lots of cases of croup with the change in the weather.

Hope it's just a minor cold for him and nothing more.
    x