Thread: Dolly varden?

Default Dolly varden?

so who has made one?
    any tips?

im going to make the cake tonight once the kids are in bed, to ice tomorrow.
    i have a barbie

I had 1 made for my DD for her 4th bday
    I dont have any tips but goodluck with it

We went to a 3rd birthday party and when the cake came out I'm like "oooooh, look hun (DH) a Dolly Varden" - the look on his face was priceless. Something along the lines of a 'WTF' lol!

I asked my friend who made it and she just said two words to me - pudding tins lol! Here's me, still can't work out how - but I just nodded like I knew what she was on about *red face*

GL!

haha leesa!
    i have a dolly varden tin(well i hired it!) google it and youll understand

Do you have a dolly varden tin?????

If so I had to make another round cake to add an extra layer on the bottom of the dress so that the barbie did not stick out so far!!! It makes the dress higher, Does that make sense????? Let me know cause it makes sense to me but really that does not mean much!!!!!!!!

heaps of cute and cool ideas if you google it!!

Quote Originally Posted by *LovemyKids* View Post
    Do you have a dolly varden tin?????

If so I had to make another round cake to add an extra layer on the bottom of the dress so that the barbie did not stick out so far!!! It makes the dress higher, Does that make sense????? Let me know cause it makes sense to me but really that does not mean much!!!!!!!!

heaps of cute and cool ideas if you google it!!
    Makes sense to me

OG cant wait to hear how it goes

this thread cause I need some help. It's my 30th birthday in two weeks and I'm having me a Dolly Varden cake. My DH thinks I'm weird but it's my party and I'll barbie if I want to.

I have a barbie and a recipe (AWW) but the recipe calls for a Dolly Varden tin and when I googled it I found that there's different sizes! AWW doesn't specify the size tin. Anyone know which size for this recipe? Should I just get the biggest tin and hope for the best?

Also, any ideas on where to buy/hire a tin in Melbourne (north-eastern 'burbs)?

(And slightly OT, but what's with the manky barbie hair these days? Where they always so gross? I haven't had a barbie doll for over 20 years, I don't remember them being so yuck. And don't get me started on the skanky outfits!).

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone1 View Post
    :
    Also, any ideas on where to buy/hire a tin in Melbourne (north-eastern 'burbs)?
    Marg and Marees in Heidelberg Heights anywhere near you? They also have a Barbie one

Love it seph!!

Barbie has gotten very very trashy over the years, I'm with you on that one.

Ooooh, just found a persephone cake!!! It looks rather difficult to make (it's a wedding cake).

Pers, where in Melb are you? I have a tin you can borrow. Otherwise, I bought mine from Susan's Cake Decorating in Greensborough (Grimshaw St near the TAB, KFC etc.). We made a cake for DD's 3rd birthday. Well, DH did and he did a good job too! The cake shop conned him into buying two cake mixes from them (you need 2 to fill this tin) but you could easily just use the receipe out of the AWW. We also bought a half doll from them. It's the top half of the doll with a toothpick type thing from waist down so you can just stab it into the cake. I still have that too (I think) if you want to borrow it.

To decorate, DH actually used those high pressure tins of icing from the supermarket. You point the nozzle and press the button type thing. Worked really well. I also hae a cake board we put it on. If you PM me your email addy I can email you the picture of DD's Cake. Now you have me thinking about what cake I might like for my 30th!

Thanks Ladies. I'm in Northcote, so the Berg is not so far to go, nor is Greensborough. Might go for a drive...

Just a follow-up - I found a Dolly Varden mould less than 100m from my house at the local Club Chef, for $17.95. Thanks for your help ladies.