Thread: Circumcision

Default Circumcision

We have just found out we're having a boy and have been discussing whether to have him circumcised or not. I am totally against it, but DH is circumcised and wants DS to look like himself. My argument is that most boys these days are not getting it done as there is no reason to do it and not only do I want to protect my son from the unnecessary pain and trauma, I think it's more important he looks like and fits in with his peers at school, than it is to look like his dad.
    How have you guys out there made this decision and have any of your DHs who are circumcised agreed not to circumcise your son?

I circumsised for both personal and religious reasons. There is a thread here though in the Gentle Parenting section (I think) for those who choose not to do it. They may be able to tell you more about changing partners minds, etc.
    Good luck

Here is the thread Natalie mentioned...

Thanks Sarah, I don't know how to do that, lol...

When we were having #1, we did not know if we were having a boy or a girl, but in case we did have a boy (which we did), we wanted to be well informed about our options. I contacted the Family Planning Association and they sent out some really helpful info with both the pros and the cons of having it done and it was backed up with good info and references. In the end we decided not to, because I just couldn't come up with a good enough reason to do it, even though DH is done (as was the custom of the day). Also, for where we are, there are very few doctors that will do it, thus we would have to travel for a few hours and i couldn't see the point in it.

It is hard to say whether he will be the odd one out or fit right in when he goes to school, because I really think it depends on the area where you live sometimes as to how many boys are done. Where we are it would be 60/40 split for uncirc's. I do think that when they are old enough to bother even commenting on one anothers 'old fella's' that there will be enough of both around that it wont even be an issue kwim?

Good luck with your decision, just make sure you research both sides of the coin and arm yourself with information.

mooshie Guest

there is always going to be such a debate about this and i personally don't want to be involved in any harsh critisism.

anyway my ds is done, along with quite a few of my close friends sons - all for different reasons.

just for your information tho, if you are giving birth in a public hospital you will find it almost impossible to get your baby done whilst he is in the hospital. we had our ds at a private hospital and we got my ds done a day after birth, i was supported my one midwife and my ob, the other midwives refused to speak to me when doing there obs on my son (thats a whole other story).

my cousin recently had her ds at a public hospital and wasn't able to have him done there, but she got the name and number of the doctor that did my ds and got her ds done at 2wks of age at the docs surgery.

good luck in coming to a decision, only you and your dh will know what is the right decision.

Here is another thread which has asked what you are now.

Just locking this thread. Please continue in one of the other circumcision threads we already have going