Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: circumcision

Red face circumcision

Hi,

I hope that this doesn't offend anyone, but I am curious to know who has had their boy circumcised? We were thinking about having Aiden done, but after talking to the anesthetist and surgeon today I am having second thoughts....

Any information would be great ....................

we had our son done - and had no problems at all with it. we had it done v early in his life (8 days) for religious reasons, so the procedure was prob different to what you would have. It took a bit of care with the area for about a week after whiel it healed and that was it. he didnt seem to be in a lot of pain after either. feel free to PM me if you want more info.

We didn't get our son done. I don't think it was our chose to make. If he wants to get it done when his older it is his chose, which I don't think he will because there is not reason these days to do it and if he does its his chose. It is his Body and I think it is perfect the way it is. I wasn't going do something to it that can't be undone.

Chepie - Thankyou for raising this topic! Our little man is due in August and we are going through this whole process at the moment - to circumsise or not.

We are leaning towards having it done (mainly because DH is done and I wouldnt want him to be "different") but when talking to my OB about it his opinion was one of "its not well supported" nowdays which to me is just strange lol

I didnt get alot of information out of him apart from the statistics and he just reiterated the point that it is not common now to have it done.

I think it is a very PERSONAL decision in which only you and your partner can make. I think we will stick with our original decision - regardless of what others think.

Good luck - I hope you can come to a decision soon.

I didn't get Jesse done. I believe that they are born like that. Why change them unless for medical reasons.
    I also feel that I'm giving him the chance to have a say in the matter when he is older. I'm giving him the choice.
    I did read that male circumcision started for the same reason as female circumcision - to reduce sexual pleasure & there for promiscuity.
    But would you do that to your little girl? Not likely.
    Each to their own though. just remember that alot of doctors are against it these days & you might get negative reactions. It is your decision. Don't let it get to you if that does happen.
    Good luck whatever you decide.

All I will say on the topic (because arguments are known to be started cos of people's strong opinions on the matter) is that we got DS done, and if this one is a boy, we will be getting him done too.
    I think DS was about 3 weeks old and the OB used the plastibell (or whatever it is called) method.

We haven't had to do it yet - two girls - but as a children's nurse, I could offer you a perspective...

I recognise that, for some couples, circumcision is a religious decision, and that at this stage, it remains legal in Australia (although moves are afoot in the US to ban male circumcision for non-medical grounds, in much the same way that female circumcision is banned). However, barring religious justification, I could not recommend circumcision.

Very few doctors will perform circumcision now, for a few reasons. There are significant risks involved, the most concerning being infection of the penis, or damage to the penis as a result of a poorly performed circumcision or scarring later on. There is also a growing legal concern that doctors who perform circumcision without medical grounds may be vulnerable to lawsuits when the baby grows into adulthood.

The main reason is that the risks simply don't outweigh the benefits. Without medical reason, it is a purely cosmetic procedure, that is quite painful. And as far as being concerned about them looking different to their father, I understand your concern, but maybe you should also consider this: circumcision is performed much more rarely these days. Amongst young boys, a circumcised child is the exception, not the rule. So while he might end with a penis that looks the same as Dad, he will also end up with a penis that looks different to most of his friends.

We don't get a choice, it will be done as part of Oliver's hypospadias repair. They will use the skin to extend his urethra instead of having to do a skin graft from elsewhere. Its not fully formed anyway. We wouldn't have chosen to have him done and I'm not thrilled about it, but its medically necessary so its out of our hands.

We didn't get our son circumcised... for medical reasons. He had a very rough start to life and we just didn't want to add another surgical procedure to the mix.

And please remember ladies and gents, the topic of circumcision seems to be a very emotive one. Many a thread has had to be closed because people couldn't resist belittling/attacking other posters' points of view. The same goes with this thread... plese be respectful when you choose your words, and we'll all be able to contribute to, and participate in, this coversation. Thanks everyone

Hi We had our DS circumsised when he was about 5 weeks old. The Dr used the plastibell method and we didn't have any probs at all. DS never cried or seemed to be in any pain. The proceedure only takes a few minutes and bub was back with us in about 20 mins. We did this as DH is also done and my one of my nephews had to be done for medical reasons at 6 years old and he was in absolute agony.His foreskin wouldn't retract when he had an erection and would scream in pain.He is now deformed from it aswell ie stunted growth and oddly shaped. I wouldn't want my DS to have any of those probs as he is growing up.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

Neither of my son's are circumcised.
    My all the males in my family are as are the males on my DH's side. TBH, no one could tell us what we could anc couldn't do with our sons, they're our babies and I feel like we did what was right for us and them.
    My sister has 3 boys and she also didn't circumsise them, as much as it is seen as the norm in my family, we both personally couldn't do it to our boys.

I'll admit i was going to get DS done when i was pregnant with him but once he was born i couldnt go through with it for a few reasons. 1) no one does it where i live anyway, 2) it seems to be quite the norm now not to have it done so he will be like most of the boys now instead of the otherway around, 3) its his body and not mine so he can do with it what he wills and that's not mine nor DH's descion to make.

pegasus Guest

If DD turned out to be a boy, we were not going to have it done. It wasn't a matter about being like the other boys, or being like daddy; it is his penis. I wouldn't like it if someone else decided that I didn't need a part of my body. I respect the decision of other parents, and would not hold it against them. We make the best decisions we can for our children. I just believe that if a boy didn't need it, he wouldn't be born with one. My XP was not done, my brother was and I guess my father too (I don't really know). I respect religious reasons, but to be "like the other boys" I don't believe is a good enough reason. If my son were different to the other boys, then I'd explain why.

If I've offended anyone, I am truly sorry.

We got DS done when he was 6 weeks old i think it was. I was a little weary at first just because once theyre here you have those second thoughts.. but we decided before he was born to get it done and now that we have i think it was the best decision for us. We had no problems with it and it was healed within a week. Didnt effect him at all. He didnt even seem to notice. Only time he cried was when he was given a local before hand.
    I know so many little boys who have had infections and am glad i wont have to go through that with him.

I totally agree with Michael's thoughts, almost word for word. Though I do respect that some feel that it's best for their son, or circ for religious reasons.

Michael, it seems that it's quite a simple procedure when the boy is a very young baby........but what happens if it's done when he's older? 1,2,6, or older even? Is it a painful procedure? Is the recovery more difficult? I have a friend who is thinking of having her son done when he's about 12 months. And I'm just generally curious

paradise lost Guest

My dad had it done when he was 10. HIs father was very old-fashioned and had both his sons done before puberty to stop them masturbating (this was in 1957). He said for him (no plastibell in those days, done under GA) he was in significant pain for many weeks and it did indeed prevent him masturbating until he was about 17 because of the association with pain.

I feel very strongly that i would not have my children of either sex circumcised (for me there is no difference between male/female).

There is a video here which explains the foreskin's anatomy, physiology and function. It is a medical video, factual rather than emotive, and there is one (very very brief) circumcision slide, towards the end. I would advise EVERY person, male or female, parent or not, to watch and find out the full story of this beautiful and amazing part of the human anatomy.

Bx

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Michael, it seems that it's quite a simple procedure when the boy is a very young baby........but what happens if it's done when he's older? 1,2,6, or older even? Is it a painful procedure? Is the recovery more difficult? I have a friend who is thinking of having her son done when he's about 12 months. And I'm just generally curious
    Circumcision is painful at any age. Some babies do not flinch when the plastibell and the band go on, but that is most likely because of the sudden shock. Certainly, if you monitor their vital signs, they show signs of pain.

Most practitioners in Australia who perform circumcision recommend delaying the procedure until 12 months of age, so that the baby is old enough to undergo an anaesthetic in conjunction with the procedure.

Personal testimony from those who have had to have circumcision later in life reveals that yes, it is intensely painful; but I don't really consider that as a valid reason to circumcise babies at birth; pain is pain, whether you are 18 days old or 18 years old.

In terms of recovery time, in some ways, it is easier for older children who are out of nappies because it doesn't need to be rubbing at the nappy and there is less risk of infection for the same reason.

I`ve had four son`s and we didn`t get them circumsized, why take away what nature intented them to have. I watched a documentry on circumsizion on the (ABC- in Sydney) some time ago and it made me feel sick to the stomach and those little baby boys did scream and cry,so I really do wonder how much pain they do actually feel,this was definately not for us.Our son`s can make their own minds up or change the way they look when they are adults if they wish too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast