Thread: Can I use cloth liners without the pocket outer?

Default Can I use cloth liners without the pocket outer?

Hello all,
    I am new to cloth nappies and everyone has told me that the old terry squares are not absorbant enough. I was wondering, would it be possible to use the absorbant liners (that are designed for pocket nappies) but with the terry nappies? I'm wondering if there would be issues with the liner staying in place and also whether it would be any good against baby's skin?

Depends on the material
    Yup, you could boost your terries with boosters for MCNs - I wouldn't think it an issue for bamboo or hemp boosters. But microfibre boosters need another layer between them and baby's bottom as they will dry the skin out too much. In the early days you may only need a couple of layers of bamboo with a cover - you could do without the terry. (It is very bulky, particularly on a newborn.)
    Having said all that, there are heaps of people out there who still use terry flats! There's nothing wrong with them, you just need to change more often (and of course, they are a bit more work with the folding, etc.)
    HTH!

Default What about washing the covers?

Thank you for your prompt reply Snacks! I do have some PUL covers (haven't used them yet!) Do you have to change the cover every time you change the nappy? I guess the answer is only if it is wet/soiled? Also, my aunt knitted a cover from wool, but I don't know what "lanolised" means - is that a treatment you can buy from the supermarket or is it an intrinsic property of wool?

Penny -I air my covers out each time I change, so two will do me through the day, one airing, one on.

I lanolise my woolies by putting them in quite warm water with a pea sized amount of laninsoh (sp?) that you get from the chemist - typically for cracked nipples whilst breastfeeding. I then soak them for half an hour, wring them out and let them dry.

Snacks is right about the microfibre next to babies bums. It dries my hands out just stuffing the pockets, would hate to imagine what it does to sensitive skin like that!

Sorry PL - haven't had a chance to get on again since lunchtime
    Mel mentioned Lansinoh - it is a form of lanolin which comes in a tube. You buy it from the chemist. It is wool fat, and I'm not sure how else people buy it - I'm sure it must be available in other forms, but Lansinoh is readily available.
    I don't use wool much, but I know people who swear by it. Lanolising, like Mel said, is just soaking your wool covers in water with a touch of lanolin (wool fat) dissolved in it.
    As for the PUL, like Mel I use two a day and rotate - 1 on while the other airs out. Unless, like you say, they get pooed on. Wool on the other hand doesn't need to be washed nearly as often. You just air it out until it gets pooed on or until it starts to get a bit woofey.

Hi Penny,

I stiil use flats with my daughter occasionally & really like them - depending on the fold & how many washes they've had, terry flats can be VERY absorbant! They are an easy & very cheap option for cloth nappying, IMO.

As for covers, I have a couple PUL here too, but swear by Maz-a-licious fleece covers, they are just great & the way they are made means they fit over a big terry butt no problem.

Welcome to cloth & you know where to ask if you ever have any more questions!