Thread: Cloth Nappies and Toilet Training

Default Cloth Nappies and Toilet Training

I'm wanting to toilet train DS who was 2 in June. We have started sitting on the toilet etc...and he gets what he has to do and understands. We have gone from wanting to sit on the toilet to not wanting to have anything to do with it and not telling me when he has done a poo in his nappy.
    I am reading and hearing that disposables make it harder for them to know when they are wet etc....and to put them in undies so they can feel the wetness.
    He is always in Cloth and never in a disposable so he would know the wet feeling or do you think however because he has always been in cloth that that feeling of being wet is what he is used to so that theory won't work for cloth bummed kids?
    Hope that makes sense!
    Am wondering if I should buy disposables and switch him from cloth for a bit then into jocks so he gets the 'wet' feeling....any ideas??

As a mass generalisation, cloth kids TT much earlier and usually quicker, than non-Cloth kids.

Having said that, you will still have the usual hurdles.
    Often they will be all for the toilet, then change their minds - it is a BIG change for them, a new way of doing things and it can be daunting. Hang in there.

FWIW when we were TTing with Charlotte, she did this back and forth thing for a little while, then I was chatting with her CC lady and she suggested I just bite the bullet and put her in knickers full time. We did and it worked a treat. She was fully TTed within days essentially, and within a few weeks was dry overnight. We only have the occassional accident now, usually when she is too preoccupied with what ever it is she is doing to want to stop to go to the toilet lol.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I am going to hang off a couple more weeks so when the weather is a bit warmer to go outside and play and put jocks on him!
    I bought some stickers today and will try a sticker system just for sitting on the loo...see how that goes!!
    xo

YOu can buy cloth training nappies (the cloth version of pull ups) so they can feel wetness but can also pull them down on the loo etc
    TT is not a success of ours yet but I think there is no need to go to disposable now. Definitely cloth options that are good. There are also knickers with a bamboo liner sewed in so it catches a bit more wee. makes the clean up a bit easier
    Good luck