Thread: Couple of questions regarding newborn cloth nappies.

Default Couple of questions regarding newborn cloth nappies.

Just after any advice on these nappies before i buy anymore. I really want to use cloth! I decided to buy a trial pack of nappies and got a BBH bamboo fitted osfm, Bum g one size 3.0, Itti bitti dlish and a Tots Bots Flexi Tots. I was wondering if anyone has used these nappies from birth? The tots bots and bum g look massive. I was thinking of buying some kissaluvs fitted as a newborn nappy if none of the above worked out. With kissaluvs what sort of cover fits this nappy? I admit i thought of using disposables full time from birth until he fitted into ittis or whatever else i decided to buy. hopefully it doesnt come to that!

Ill probably also buy more itti bitti dlish's. Does everyone prefer a snap in or sewn in for this nappy. And Ive also noticed a lot of people use the bum g sized nappy but haven't heard much feedback on the new 3.0 because i was also going to get some of these as well.

Ok i think thats all my questions lol. ooh I cant wait to get my little man in his beautiful nappies!

I love the BumG OSFM ( although I have V2.0, not the new ones)
    Having said that though, you will find that most OSFM and AIOs are way to big on a NB. Charlotte didnt get into hers until about 3 months. Have you got the snaps on the front set the smallest setting?

For NBs because you need to change them so often anyway, most people tend to use flats (I use flannelette) and covers, or NB sized fitteds and covers. Grab yourself some babylegs and you wont even need to try and get pants over them either

Pop in to the cloth nappy thread if you like, there are a couple of addicts about to have NBs so will be able to share what they are planning on using, and you can share experiences once bubba is here

The only other thing is I see lots of firsttime mums rushing out and being fabulously organised buying a whole heap of nappies, even in medium and larger sizes, before bubs is born. This can pose a problem. Not all nappies work for every bub. Some need side snaps, others are irritated by synthetic fabric against their skin, others are massively heavy wetters...etc etc. So just be careful how many you buy before you have a chance to try them out. Get one or two of a few different types so you can see if you like flats and covers, or if you need a narrow crotch nappy, iykwim.

The best thing about flats and NB sized nappies is that they are usually cut low enough (or can be folded low in the case of flats) to allow the umbilical cord to be exposed until it falls off, doesnt irritate it and is generally more hygienic

HTH lots of the girls will come past I am sure and share their thoughts to
    Good luck with the birth too!

Ash used the BG OS from birth on the smallest setting. It worked great and we never had any leaks. I used the Itti from about the first week. I find the sewn in a better fit, no leg gape, but I get that with snap ins so we don't use them.
    I used BBB a lot! And bubblebubs smalls fitted him from about 3 weeks

Hi!!

I didn't use any OSFM from birth - they were just too bulky on her. I used the small bumg's for 6 months on her though so I think they are great!

Also - I loved my kissaluvs - still using them now (the same size) 7.5 months later - and I got them off ebay brand new for really cheap - best investment ever! The best covers (IMO) are mother-ease cos they have gussets. Others have gussets but I didn't need to try anymore after my love affair with mother-ease had started

For a newborn I would use the sewn in ittis - like Missy said - you can get leg gape if they are a bit chicken legged!!

And I agree with Alexis - flats are an excellent way to bulk up your stash - I'd look into prefolds too - I much preferred them over flats

Oh and do come and join us in the cloth thread - although lots of enablers there!!
    HTH!!!

For Harmony I only used BG one size with terry flats inside, so I used it more like a cover. Never had a leak, they were perfect... but a little bulky.....

Only after 6 weeks was I able to use them "normally", along with IB's, and they all fit great

whoa, thanks for your quick replies.

Limeslice- With the bumg i have the snaps to the smallest, i think maybe compared to the ittis they look big cause the ittis have the smaller crotch. Thats a good idea of maybe using flats or prefolds and the nappies and seeing what he suits. Ill have a look at them for sure. Can you use any cover on flats and prefolds?
    Missymoo- I think i like the look of the sewn in as well.. There is quite a leg gap when i look at it. They are so gorgeous though!
    Arimeh- With your kissaluvs did you use the fitted or contour ones?

I used the fitted kissaluvs - size 1

And a hint about the covers - its best to get ones with leg gussets (mother-ease, thirsties etc) because then you get double protection if there is a huge poosplosion. cos if the nappy doesn't catch it - the cover will!