Thread: First Nappy After Birth?

Question First Nappy After Birth?

not sure if I have posted this in the right section, but I was wondering about the first nappy the baby wears after birth??

I am having a homebirth, so I have flat, fitted and disposable all at the ready... but I would prefer to put him straight into cloth.

does it matter??

Thanks

FWIW I went disposible even though I had plenty of cloth nappies. Meconium stains your MCN badly, it's a buggar to get out.

I guess you could put him in a cloth flat with a liner so it doesn't stain as bad and then you can soak the nappies ???

MJ went into the flats that the hossy provide (luckily they do the washing )
    She stayed in these for about 2 weeks as well as trifolds until the fitted were a better fit.
    she has never had a sposie on, but the first days were obviously easier for me as there was no washing.
    When i got home i would soak the pooey flat nappies as the poo was staining - nothing the sun didnt take care of thou

Good luck

Thanks, can't say I had thought about the first poo!!

My aunt is going to pay for a nappy wash service! She likes to encourage the use of cloth nappies in the family! We would have used them anyway, but it will be a great help! I havent enquired about it yet, but will probably start it a couple of weeks after the birth... definitely by the time DH goes back to work!!

I am hoping we dont use disposables too often... they are really unfriendly to the enviro!! My MIL baught a packet when she was visiting - i managed to talk her down to a small packet, I dont think she realises how set we are on using cloth! It will be good to have them just in case though.
    Last edited by EJM; May 29th, 2008 at 07:48 AM.

Not sure that a nappy washing service will be good on your MCN? Just yoru flats (or their flats, how ever it works, justr don't mix up your MCN!

We used flats at the hospital but then our MCNs when we came home. We came home after 24 hrs so he was still having meconium poos but we didn't have a problem getting them out (we even forgot to use liners ).

We didn't want to use disposables on a newborn because of the chemicals and didn't end up using any till he was 2 months old. We bought a more degradable brand with no chlorine so you might want to look for those for your occasional use.

If you're having a nappy wash service I'd use your flats and enjoy someone else doing the washing

I was lazy and used a HB Huggies in the hospital. I put him in cloth on day 2, but I didn't have enough NB cloth for full time so was doing 50/50 with disposables. Some of my MCN are still slightly stained from the meconium but I haven't soaked them or hung them in the sun yet (we line dry inside, unit dwellers).

We are down to two disposables a day at the moment - one when we go out, and one overnight. He sleeps better in the 'sposie than in one of my fitteds. I really should look into a decent night nappy.