Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

Kate - can I suggest looking at gusseted covers? For NB poo explosions, nothing beats gusseted covers! The BBH ones tend to be pretty large, from my experience. Even the Sm didn't get used on my chubby DS until he was 3-4 months old. Have a look at Thristies, Bummis and Motherease for starters. A bad cover experience can really ruin your day! JMO

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you get Thirsties, Bummis or Motherease from shops? I looked them up on google but coudn't find reference to a Vic supplier.

Not sure, Kate. I tend to get everything online... Arimeh's Clothie Bumz (BB member - you get a discount!), Nurture Nappies, Darlings Downunder are a few reputable online stores, but there's heaps. I have seen Bummis covers at my local Environment Shop though, but they didn't have much of a range. If you have some time, you can shop around for the best deals and postage rates. Oooh, and you HAVE to check out Maz-a-licious fleece covers if you haven't already! Check the BB marketplace members or wahmnaps dot com dot au . You'll also find her in the cloth nappy general discussion thread and she has a clickable link in her sig. Same for Arimeh. Oh gee, now you're going to get hooked...

Lol I will second that... I have already started my Maz collection - I have nine so far

and love watching all the new things get added to Armieh's site

Please help....I've been using the 'night kite' (I think thats what its called-the fold with the pad in the middle) and now it seems to be to small to fit around DS properly. What other folds can I use? I have a super wee-er so he needs to have the extra 'bit' in the middle. Any suggestions??

hippiemummy - Pop in a bamboo, hemp or microfibre booster?? Fold it into the nappy especially if it's microfibre, or put it between the nappy and cover or nappy and liner for natural fabrics. Um, have you checked the nappy lady for some other folds? I use the gaynor fold for my DS, even tho it's probably better suited to girls, but it's easier to adjust the fit around the waist without lots of bulk around the legs. HTH!

Does anyone else do this?

Take a flat nappy and fold it in half, then turn and fold in quarters. The resulting rectangle fits neatly inside a motherease or tots bots PUL cover, with 8 layers of absorbency.

I use the fleecy cotton flats from Big W which are thinner than terry, so 8 layers isn't too bulky. I can also easily place an extra booster inside the rectangle at night. It's SOOO easy but it wasn't as effective back when Jude did huge wet newborn poos (they leaked and stained the cover, but didn't leak all over the place).

kuraiza - I sometimes also use the pad fold, which gives 12 layers at the front where it's needed most! Fold a nappy in half into a rectangle, then fold over the end so it's as long as you need it, then fold lengthways into thirds. The thicker part goes at the front, and if bubs is skinny enough you can fan out the back and snappi it.

Hi all.
    I just bought DS some terry flats. Waiting on some MCN's so going to use both.
    Tell me, what do you wash your terry's in?

WOW... i joined the cloth thread and so confusing... Just using terry flats here and snappy's. Still looking into the MCN's.... so confusing.

bjrose - just wash your flats with a small amount of detergent, preferably something without enzyme or optical brighteners. They can deteriorate the fabric. More important for MCNs, but good for flats too. Do you dry-pail? Because there's no need to soak or have poo soup in your laundry! Washing machines these days are far more efficient than in the past, and there's no need for soaking and sanitising solutions that will more than likely cause more skin sensitivities for bubs. Just give your nappies a good flick before and after hanging out to dry, and sunlight is a great stain remover and sanitiser.

Jess - what you want to know, hun? I can maybe make some recommendations, or ask the right people IYKWIM?

YAY how come i never noticed this site before!!!

Im a terry flat user! i love them - i love how cute B looks in them, i love seeing my clothes line full of them, i love how simple they are (compared to mcn's).
    I use them however with BBH covers and i use snappi's instead of pins (had to make it easier for DH)

yep, snappis are the only way to go here too! DS is too dangerous on the change table without sharp things anywhere within 100 miles!! Most times I don't even use one, tho. Just stick the nappy in a cover like a prefold. I use the Bummis or Thirsties covers because they have the leg gussets and a little pocket/flap at the front for prefolds.
    And there is nothing nicer than a clothesline full of happy rainbow-coloured nappies blowing in the breeze!

NaNa- Thanks for the offer tohelp. I guess i never realised there was so many different choices and variety of things. Gosh so much to learn. Hopefully i can be all quized up before next bubs. I have used terry flats both kids just with cover i had brought from Big W. Loving all the covers and things. Would like to get some MCN's to make things easier. Dd is getting inpatient and the more she moves the worse it is. so something easy. I say that and i get lots of advice on what others like but i wish it was easier TOO many choices...

Looking at the AI2's?? arrrggghh what to do... oh well if i dont get it this time it'll be a goal with the next.

Good to see so many flats users around! We use a combo of flats and MCN, with sposies for overnight (never found a night nappy that lasts the distance here). I was actually thinking a couple of hours ago how easy and trouble free flats are. The tt ones just aren't absorbent enough for me to use all the time! And I do love using pockets and AI2s for going out, makes things a bit easier. But flats really are ace! BTW, we use snappis and Motherease covers mostly, sometimes fleece covers.

Jess, I'm with you. MCN's are confusing!
    I have ordered 3. I'm sorta working it out. Well I know that AIO's are just that, you don't need to add anything extra.

I'm using snappi's. Don't trust myself with pins! I did use pins when DD1 was born as they had terry's for us to use in hossy, but with DD2 I made sure I got a snappi!
    I bought some training undies from Big W for over the terry's as well as a cover/pilcher thing (not plastic!). Keeping my eye out for more. I also got a cheap fitted from Big W.

I'm dry pailing. Mel said that was the best way to do it. & I'm using a small amount of washing powder. Keeping an eye on him though, coz he's sensitive to soap. If it bothers him I'll try buying a sensitive one just for nappies I guess.

He actually likes them! I pull one out & put it on the floor & he comes & waits for me to put him down, lol. He never did that with sposies. We actually went to Coffs for the whole day today & I didn't use a single sposie!! I'm proud! (For someone who only used cloth the first few days in hossy!)

I'm going over night for the first time tonight. I thing I'll do the basic triangle fold, with another nappy folded like a booster in it I think. Then the training undies coz they are lined & I haven't had a single leak from them yet. (Mind you I only really started yesterday! Lol!)
    What do you guys do over night?
    Last edited by ~clover~; March 21st, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

I am doing TF during the day I only really knew the Kite fold... LOL. Just looked at others yesterday I was doubling up for nights or folding a booster with a 2nd nappy but too many leaks. Was reading bout the wool soakers??? (wish there was a smily face thingy for looking dumb) I'm been asking round whatthe best MCN is for nights cos i'd like to use them (wil be definatly going all cloth next bubs for sure)

LLooking at the itty bitties i think they are. U can buy a trial back with 1 AIO and 1 AI2 for $49.95. they have few nice colours. Also Mel (arimeh) just gave me some great info. Hopefully she wil have more AI2 stock soon.

I use the cuty flece/wooly cover thingys from Big w. They have the plastic round the leg part to stop leakages. Never had any issues. The Mazalicious cover are great. At 1st i was using them over the topov another cover cos they were to pretty to get "ruined" by pee... LOL... Now i use them as the cover... hahaha

Well we went good over night.
    Triangle fold with another one folded inside as booster, then the training undies. No leakage. He had an intersting time trying to walk around last nigh though, lol. The nappy inside kept his legs apart, but he still slept well!

I love the way they look! I'm using the fold thats a triangle with extra padding in the middle? You fold into quaters, then pull one corner back to make a triangle on that side. Then turn over & fold the square bit left into 3. Maybe that one would help you over night Jess?

I think I'll wait for my boosters/inserts & use them before I do the kite fold.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast