... 41213141516 ...

thread: Flat nappy discussion

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Yep, that sounds like a snappi.
    I'm sorry to hear that your baby's dad seems not to be too interested to be a part of his child's life.
    I do love the pull-up style knitted wool soakers for summer as they are like a pair of pants and there's nothing on them to scratch bare skin. All that is needed is a singlet on top and DS is dressed. But yes, initially the wrap covers are way more convenient. That is also something to consider when buying swimming nappies. Although there I would stay away from hook and loop (get snaps instead) due to the scratch issue and your bare skin...
    Sasa

Add Marlene on Facebook

Jul 2007
    Dapto, Illawarra...NSW

I fold mine twice (into a square) then pull one corner (so its a square with a triangle attached) flip it over and fold the square part over twice to make almost a triange but with a rectangledown the centre.

Im not sure what its called lol but so far it has done a great job (21months)

I use that fold too. Jack is 18 months. Still fits great

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

It's called the origami or chinese fold. I use that too and love it.
    Sasa

Jul 2009
    Melbourne

DD is only 4 months and 6 kg, but she seems to have a pretty high rise - we've been using the chinese/butterfly fold (the triangle with the pad in the middle) but we're getting bum crack showing! Not good! Any suggestions for what we should move on to?

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Jess, you can extend the Origami fold by just pulling the triangle a bit further (not sure how to explain it). It will make it not quite symmetrical, but give it more rise. And the pad in the middle will not start at the top of the back, but a little bit further down. I hope that makes sense.
    DS is very tall and it still fits him well at 4 1/2 months by using this trick and still room to extend it more.
    Otherwise, you can have a look at the nappy lady website.They have excellent diagrams for different folds.

Sasa

Apr 2008
    in love. lots of it.

I use the "gaynor fold" on the nappy lady site. It might seem a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's simple. And you can adjust the rise to suit, and it would probably work better for girls than boys. My DS is 18 months and it still works fine for him. HTH.

Aug 2009
    Melbourne

put altered

Hi everyone, does anyone have any recommendation for prefold newborn nappies? I've always used pocket nappies with my son and I plan to re-use them when this bubs is a few months old and just use prefolds for the first couple of months.
    I started doing some research but I've now read so many reviews/comments on the different brands that I'm hopelessly confused! Thankyou

Add Stevie on Facebook

Apr 2009
    Sunshine Coast

hello ladies, just a question about flats, ive been looking into them for awhile and i have gotten soo much info im being pulled in all kinds of directions,
    ok so DD is just over 3 months old, sos till quite small, i want to use flats as its the cheapest option and im only doing it for around home. just trying to save some dollars where i can.
    at the moment iver got about a dozan or so ****ies terry flats (from big w) i was uing them for spit rags, and have washed and dried (in dryer) quite a few times and they are now no long square (not sure if they ever were lol) do i need to get new ones? or will these do? remembering its just for around home. also ive seen quite a few people mention something about flanellet flats? i have HEAPS of flanellet wraps that were given to me that i dont use.. would these do? or am i being silly? and if these do do, what would i sue to pin them up? just baby pins? i have those snappi things for the terrys.
    if i have to get new terrys what and where would i get them? without buying online since i dont have a c card, i cant use paypal or anything like.
    thanks for the help ladies

oh and what fold would be best and less bulky?
    xx

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

You can most definitely use your BigW flats. I have some and still use them from time to time. If they're not square, it's not ideal but will certainly work. Mine were never square by the way. Yes, you can use the flanny wraps. You might be a little restricted as to the folds to use as they are usually not square nappy sizes. But you can always do a pad fold of some description and just use a good cover. I think nappy pins would be better to use than snappis on the flannies. But you could even just lay them in the coover and use no fixing whatsoever.
    If your aim is to save money, be creative. you can use all kinds of things like old towels. I think there's a frugal nappying discussion around somewhere...
    I used muslin wraps, too. You might need to boost your flats relatively soon as your child starts to wee more or alternatively just change very frequently. Diong lots of nappy free time especially now in summer will also help reduce costs.

Have fun!
    Sasa

Add Stevie on Facebook

Apr 2009
    Sunshine Coast

Thanks SS,
    re: being creative i never thought of that, esp since it is just for around home!!

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Stevie-ann, you can also see if you can find more old towels or flannie wraps at op-shops if you want to keep the cost down. Even better if you have a sweing machine or overlocker to hem the edges (if you need to cut them). Or if you freecycle, ask there...

Sasa

Add Stevie on Facebook

Apr 2009
    Sunshine Coast

ill def keep my eye open at op shops.
    Thanks heaps for your help.
    At the moment, i have a whole bunch of NB dispoable nappies that if i dont use soon she will grow out of them so im using them up at the moment.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

I bought some 142cm wide white nappy flannel from spotlight for $5/metre.

Out of 3m of material ($15), i got 10 nappies 60cm x 60cm and have a bit left over i think i will make wipes or something with.

If you want to make 70 x 70cm nappies, 3.5metres ($17.50) will give you 10 nappies.

I have just overlocked the edges.

Target sells a 6 pack of flannel 70 x 70cm nappies for $14, so not that much more if you just want to buy. Their terry flats were around $30 for 12 nappies.

Add Stevie on Facebook

Apr 2009
    Sunshine Coast

and does flannel work just as good?

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

and does flannel work just as good?
    That's what I want to know too? I used terry flats for DS (and gave them all to my cousin, I think I had about 50 or so LOL).

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

From what I have heard, flannies are a little less bulky, but also not quite as absorbant. Most people use them for newborns but change to terries later. The advantage with terries is that you can use snappies. Although, if the flannel is woven loose enough, you might be able to use snappis, too.

I have never used flannies, so don't quote me on any of this. It's just what I've heard/read.

If you do want to use pocket nappies later on with a more wriggly toddler, you can make the inserts out of your flats.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

That;s what i'm planning to do, use flannel for the newborn time (along with prefolds), and later use combo of terrie flats and MCNs. I am also thinking of making some booster type thingys to go with the flannel (not too many layers though).

I can use snappies with the flannel too, with a cover over the top.

Jul 2009

Hi everyone, I am so happy to have found this thread. I am planning to use prefolds and I have bought a couple of the BBH A12 side snap MCN's as well. For those of you that are also planning to use prefolds/cloth/flannies - what covers are you going to use? I bought a couple of the BBH newborn covers, but they still seem quite large? Maybe they are for cloth flats? And is everyone using Snappi's? They seem like the way to go? How many should I buy?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just so excited to have found this thread! The other cloth nappy discussion groups seem to focus on specific brands and when I look at all the different ones I just get confused

... 41213141516 ...