Thread: HELP!!! need advice on nightime nappies!!

Unhappy HELP!!! need advice on nightime nappies!!

hey there
    i have a 6 and a half mth old little girl who recently has started leaking over night.. we use disposables and i thought her nappy was too small but going up a size made no difference..
    i saw in another thread that cloth nappies may be the way to go to help this problem? she is waking up at say 2am after going to bed at 7pm ish and her nappy has leaked onto her pyjamas its probably 5-6 times out of 7days..
    can anyone recomend a good nappy thats extra absorbant and wont leak over night?? its driving me crazy and looking online is really confusing lol ofc they all say they are good lol..
    TIA

I personally dont use a specific "night nappy", I tend to find the BunGenius I have is enough if I use the night soaker and the microfibre insert together.

I know lots of girls use a night nappy and a soaker or longies overnight...hopefully Gigi will pop in and share some of her vast knowledge!

It will pretty much be trial and error until you find one that works for you GL and welcome to Cloth!

LS, from about 4 months there's no way I would have used a pocket at night, just too much wee to contend with!

Noni, it depends how you want to go. I personally use Baby Beehinds Bamboo nappies for overnight, you need a cover for these. The cover is a good thing though, it helps to stop the nappy from leaking! These nappies are very popular, nearly all cloth nappy users love them. Some people find though that as their bub gets older and wees more they need a dedicated night nappy. They do a fantastic job apparently, but do cost alot more.

Maybe in your case it's worth trying something like the Baby beehinds, and see how you go. If you think you need something more absorbent you can always sell the nappy on Buy4baby. Have a look on there anyway, you can pick up some good bargains, there are often BBB's for sale.

If you decide to go down this road, let us all know so we can recommend covers for you

Janie - so many people have said that to me too, and I just dont have a problem with it (well, yet anyhow!) lol She is a heavy wetter though (not just at night) but she actually seems to be wetting less overnight as she gets bigger!!

I think there are a couple of night nappies of B4B atm too

hey there..
    the lovely lady at darlings downunder said i could try a nappy cover over my sposie to help with my leakage problem do u guys think that could work? what kinda covers are good?

I've used baby beehinds fitteds for the majority of Calebs life and they work fine, even when he was doing 14 hours overnight (*sigh* I wish these days...) The nappy was sopping in the morning but it never leaked out of the cover.

I also have a wild child and have been really happy with it. They are more expensive but if you are having to do a full bed strip and wash almost every night then it would be worth it and her only being 6 months you would get your moneys worth for sure.

Putting a cloth over a sposie could work alright but tbh I'd prefer just the cloth and wack in an extra booster

I use several different covers. Fleece, PUL and wool. Whatever is clean really

i wouldnt be putting a cloth nappy over the sposie just the cover.. its hard lol i have no experience with cloth and they are so expensive!! i would love to go cloth because i know in the long run they are cheaper but it is alot of work and i dnt see myself having the time?? or the initial start up fee to buy all the stuff

Sorry I misread that! You could try just a cover over the sposie and see how you go then.

It's not really that much extra work. It's a mind over matter thing really I didn't have the motivation to keep up with cloth with my first (did flats) but made the choice to do cloth this time and force myself to stick with it on the can't be bothered days. Most of the time I find folding them to be one of my favourite chores.

Noni, you could always build up your supply slowly - if you plan to have another baby later on, you can still save money!
    I'd go for a baby beehinds wrap too. They are pretty inexpensive and they last for a good while (DD is 15months and is still able to fit into her small size one). You might want to try boosting your DDs nappy with a bamboo booster (you can buy those from baby beehinds too).
    My friends who use sposies fulltime have recommended buying really cheap sanitary pads to put inside the nappy overnight to stop leaks. Seems like the same system as the cloth, only more expensive! But certainly if you don't want to wash, there is that disposable option too.
    ETA: I also don't find cloth too much extra work... It is probably two extra loads a week for me, and I too enjoy folding them... Unless Natty is 'helping' me. Then it can get a little exasperating

mmm...folding nappies...stroking the minkee...

lol

noni- if you want to stick with sposies, i have one word for you- ALDI!

baby beehinds go the distance for most and if you go a sposie and a cover , a fleece cover works well ...

Actually just thinking about having a cover over the sposie, I'm sure it could prevent leaks but she'd be totally drenched in wee which could cause rashes. Especially if the reason the nappy is leaking is due to it not being able to hold any more.
    With cloth you can boost it more so that the wee is drawn away from the skin. Not trying to talk you into cloth, just creating discussion

i was going to post something like that , but couldnt find the words ...

what sposies are you usuing noni???

we use huggies she dosnt leak heaps just out the sides and onto her pjs

Sounds like the Huggies shape doesn't fit your DD. If you're still keen on using sposies, try the Aldi ones. I've heard of a few people now who find they fit their babies better than Huggies.
    Plus, they're cheaper!

id love to do cloth like i said i just dnt have the money... its crap coz i knw theyd be cheaper in the long run thanx for the aldi tip will have to get dp to take me there on the wkend..