Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for New Users!

What type of wool covers Catriona? If they're BBH ones, many of us don't bother to lanolise the BBH ones. Your PUL covers and BumG's will dry pretty quickly, so you don't necessarily need to wait for a sunny day for those!

And yep, Lansinoh's fine, dissolve a pea sized amount in hot water, mix that with some lukewarm water, soak your cover for I think an hour or more (can be overnight), dry gently (like rolling in a towel to wring out the extra moisture and then lay flat).
    How's that for a textbook explanation! :P
    That's definitely for knitted wool covers, for the BBH covers, I machine wash them and don't lanolise, they're pretty tough. They'd probably stink less if I lanolised...
    Just DON'T wash in hot. That can be a very tough and unfun lesson to learn.

And to the uninitiated, beware of Janie AND Maz, they BOTH are addicts who will lead you down their slippery slope to nappy addiction and then you will never be the same...perhaps that's not a bad thing though?

Catriona77 Guest

Wink

yes Nelle, its the BBH wool wrap. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions!! It is truly appreciated!!
    Now just waiting for the little man to show up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona77 View Post
    I am not game enough to wash the PUL and wool covers yet.
    honey the pul covers dry in no time honestly..invest in a clothes horse and put them on there. i also bought one of those little rounde peg things from the reject shop. its has about 20 pegs stuck onto it, I peg all my boosters on one and wipes on another. much easier to put all the little stuff on one thing and put that on the line. I also put my nappys ont he clothes horse so when it rains outside, I can just get the whole thing in one go and take it inside
    As for lanolising...blah, I never do it (yes im lazy but hey got 4 kids, who has the time) Ive changed over to fleecie covers cause they dry a hell of alot quicker them wool ones and their cheaper. Bu tin saying that there is nothing as nice as a gorgeous pair of knitted longies ahhhhhh and never put your wool cover inthe dry either hon...I felted my knitted longies due to Jed putting them in the 'normal' warm wash and they disapeared in the leg of something...thank god I have a little boy that can still wear them but it wreaks them so badly.

Nelle - you should talk woman pmsl you girls are such a bad influence over me hahahahhahahaha you got me hooked on prefolds!

Janie - me a ring leader....hehehheh I wish

Oh G woman, I get weirry (sp???) of buying of ebay..Ive been burnt and so have many other girls. try buy for baby, its a second hand nappy place so you can get good nappies cheapto try before you buy the new ones IFYKWIM

Catriona77 Guest

Thanks Maz!! Might have to get some fleecie covers in the future!

I realised that I had done the wash in Omo matic front loader powder!!
    I read on the wash instructions not to use anything with brigtheners etc etc.... will this wreck my BBB? Its too late now if it has.. but they all look alright though.

So please educate me - what brand of washing powder do you use?

Thank you again!!!

I use what ever im washing my other stuff in but ive found it hand for myself to do the following.

I put a full scope into a 2 litre bottle of water and let it dissolve, I then use about 1/4 of that bottle with every wash of nappies. I dont have to worry about putting to much powder in.

You wont have wrecked your BB's hun. you wil have to eventually do a strip wash down the track due to build up but you are along way of that atm.

Catriona, normal washing powder should be fine........just don't use the ones that have softeners or optical brighteners added.

I use Amolin/Purity, and now sometimes Earth Choice liquid, as that's what I use for the rest of our washing.

I have no idea what I use...depends what mood I'm in, and what I can find! :P But yeah, you don't need to use as much as the instructions say, for my front loader it says 1/2 a scoop and I use less than a 1/4. Plain water and agitation from the machine does most of the work.
    As Maz says, you won't have wrecked your nappies, just if you did that all the time they'd wear or fade quicker than normal, and using too much detergent, the detergent might build up in your nappies and make them less absorbent. (The same rule can apply for towels and tea-towels too!)

Hi

For those that make their own boosters, what dimensions do you make them?

My little one is 18 months old and has flats and peapods.

ta,

k

Um...off the top of my head, I think I make trifolds about 30x30cm, and perhaps boosters 12x30cm? That's in theory anyway, after I cut them out all wonky and then overlock them all wonky, who knows what size they are - definitely they're not all the same size as each other, I'm a rubbish sewer!

If you've got a booster that you really like the size of, then I reckon you should just copy that!

Default Time to take the big plunge!

ok....my dear Mum has told me to buy some of 'these' nappies i have been talking about and she will pay!

The only thing is that i'm not sure really what to get. I have some BBH bamboo fitteds and Magic Alls coming (paying them off).

But I also want to get some tots bots but not sure which ones - either the originals (like the snappi fastening) or bamboozles. I am leaning more towards the cotton originals as i already have some bamboo ones coming? I have found a package of 15 where i can mix whatever styles or just stick to the same one.

What do you guys think?? Would love advice from someone who uses tots bots.....and covers aswell what brand covers?

PLEASE HELP

Okay just quickly before I crawl into bed...:P

I love our Tots Bots, we have mostly Cottons and Bamboozles. Here's the low down: Cottons are quicker to dry but bulkier, slightly less absorbent but easily boosted really. Bamboozles are very very trim but as with any bamboo, take ages to dry.

So, in winter I am loving the cottons for drying (but have to use size 1 on the newer bub) whereas the bamboozles are a pain for drying, often have to finish them off in the dryer but the newer bub is wearing size 2's because they're quite a slinky nappy - so good value!

I'll let someone else cover covers. My eyes are hanging out of my head.

This is all so confusing to me.I would love to start using cloth but what do I need.I'm clueless..I don't even know what a booster is!!Do they need special cleaning?

Laura, just quickly, whereabouts in Melbourne are you? There are quite a few of us cloth users in the East/SE, I'm sure at least one of us could meet up with you and show you how it all works............

Laura, I'm going to stalk you :P
    I use cloth too
    Ill reply in that other thread but if you do want to meet up before the other meet up we could maybe meet with the nappy gals too

I'm in Camberwell.Would be great to have someone to show me.I have SOOOO many questions about them....
    Ash - hahaha I kinda stalk you too!

Come lurk in cloth nappy general chatter, they talk up a storm and you'll learn quick

Ahhh well Laura, there's a few of us out Croydon/Mooroolbark/Kilsyth way. And then a few even further out around Pakenham way, we were thinking of having a meetup out that way at some stage...

It definitly will help to see things in real life, it can be a bit confusing.

Hi lovely (and clever) cloth ladies!
    I am using sposies - even though i always said i wanted to use cloth, i just never got around to taking the plunge.
    I have no idea what to buy, and everytime i look in the stores and on-line there seem to be 1,000,000 nappies, and someone loves them and someone else hates them (IYKWIM).

Am i right in thinking I should buy a few of each to see what we all like and what works best?

I have a sewing machine () but it is older than me and it really only gets used to mend things, and I've made a few bibs with it too. Should i contemplate making some MCN - or just buy them to start with?

Liam is a super heavy wetter too.

I hope someone can start me off in the right direction,
    TIA
    Jo

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast