Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for New Users!

Hi Lenny! What state do you live in? If you live near one of the girls in cloth nappy chatter, we might be able to show you what we have and that can help with confusion a lot.

My bub's around the same age as yours, and at the moment I'm liking Baby BeeHinds, Tots Bots, GreenKids pockets, BumGenius pockets, BerryPlush AIO's. They're all pretty mainstream brands too, you can't really go too wrong with those, and because they're well known, they're pretty easy to on-sell if they don't work for you. Oh, I'm using Motherease Rikki, Tots Bots and Mazalicious covers too.

But yep, you're right, a few of each isn't a bad idea to get a feel for things.

As for sewing, definitely have a crack at it if you want! If you're making fitted nappies, as long as you've got a good cover, it probably doesn't matter if the first few nappies you make miss the mark a little. :P

Karla83 Guest

Hi I am Karla and I am very new to the whole MCN thing. So far I am using Hautes Pockets and I am waiting for my BumGenius' and Happy Heiny's to arrive.

I have read that you aren't meant to use nappy rash creams with the nappies - DS is teething and has a nice red bottom to match his nice red cheeks so I need to use something.

Can someone help with a suggestion - I would prefer something I can get from the supermarket or chemist.

Thanks

Karla

Thanks Nelle,
    I'm in Langwarrin. I actually went to a BB meet up half because i wanted to meet BG and Mel, and half because i wanted to talk to some of the ladies (like Maz etc) about MCN. Needless to say i'm a bit shy () and just sat quietly. I'm pleased i meet some nice people, though!
    The only MCNs i've seen IRL are pea-pods and they don't really get rave reviews on BB.
    Can you tell me if you buy your MCNs of the net (ebay, WAHMs etc) or from a store? I'd love to find a store that has a few so i can look and compare. I'd love to see them (feel them, touch them) , so if someone can help me out i'd be grateful.
    TIA
    Jo

OK, so I'm going to do it! I am going to start using cloth.
    Two questions though.What is the best type to use at night? DS is quite a heavy wetter but I don't want to be changing him all night long.I also don't like the idea of him feeling the wetness.
    Question two - where is the best place to buy them? I'm happy to do it over the net.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi LauraB.

In Melbourne the only place to get MCN is on the net, although the lovely lady at theweewuns lives not far out of melbourne and you can organise to go and pick them up from her house and have a bit of a look. She has a great range of MCN. There is also darlingsdownunder in melb.
    There are so many sites, but off the top of my head, site i have used....
    WAHMNAPS
    babysoftlandings
    thenappybucket
    ittibitti
    nurturenappies

Nappycino website has loads of info including a list of sites and many threads on night nappies. My personal fav are wildchild, but i have heard good things about many other night nappies.

ozclothnappies is a fantastic resource also.

Also the big expo will be coming up in Sep/Oct i think in Melb, it is a great place to check out MCN.

HTH!

ETA- Some nappies have a stay dry layer, usually microfleece, sometimes suede cloth and other things! These takes moisture away from baby's bum leaving it dry! If you have a nappy without this layer, (for eg might have bamboo,hemp or organic cotton against bum) you can easily cut up microfibre to use as liners. Having said that most of my nappies have a stay dry layer.

[7 pages later ...]

Ok I read the whole thread and I still have some questions, unbelievable considering the amount of information in this thread which has been very helpful.

1. Hypothetical: If a newborn weighs 3kgs on the day it's born, how many weeks does it take to grow to 4kgs?

2. What covers do you recommend for a newborn over flannie or terry flats?

3. How many newborn sized covers should I buy?

Some covers don't come in newborn size (e.g. baby beehinds), so should I look at Tot Bots PUL, Bummis PUL, Stacinator Wool, Eenee Snib ... What would you suggest? I don't want to blow budgets on newborn sizes.

Hi Kuraiza! It's a lot to take in at first isn't it!?

1. Hypothetical: If a newborn weighs 3kgs on the day it's born, how many weeks does it take to grow to 4kgs?
    Ummm...a month? Perhaps? Maybe 2 months. Chances are your bub will be bigger than 3kg though, Si was 7.9lb which made him 3600g I think. And he was about 4kg by 4 weeks.
    It'll also depend on how quickly bub puts on weight, some do it fast, some more slowly.

2. What covers do you recommend for a newborn over flannie or terry flats?
    I love Motherease Rikkis. Worth the money. Anything with gussets (extra security around the legs) are great for the first 6 months I reckon.
    As an aside, keep in mind that flannelette flats will be MUCH trimmer on your tiny newborn than terry towelling flats - I'd stick to the flannys at first personally.

3. How many newborn sized covers should I buy?
    I had 4 I think - 2 eenees snibs and 2 Bummis Original covers. We were out of the snibs at about 3 weeks, and the Originals by about 6. Into the small ME Rikkis at about 4 weeks.

I know what you mean about not blowing the budget on newborn covers. Here are some tips:
    - try and find covers with a good weight range - say, 3kg to 6kg.
    - Keep in mind whether you're planning on more than one child - that helped me justify some things, knowing that both my boys have gotten use from nappies and they're still good for another or so.
    - You can always re-sell some of your covers on buyforbaby (ebay doesn't do the used nappy thing) to reclaim a bit of your money. You could always try looking for nb covers on there too?

All the best, we're always around here and in the cloth chatter if you have more questions!

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions for wool or fleece covers for nighttimes? It's hard to tell which brands would be good, as they don't have gussetted legs on the wool or fleece covers.

Newborn flats do or don't need any boosters folded in to the origami?

I don't use wool for young babies at night - they don't toss and turn so you can get compression leaks, also, if they explode out of a nappy, it's easier to rinse or wash a PUL cover, as opposed to handwashing wool. I'll sometimes use fleece during the day as bub gets more mobile, but until bub is moving enough to facilitate the evaporation (how wool and fleece work) I stick to PUL.
    Others might use wool so young though, pop in to general chatter and ask if you're interested in wool and newborns.

Thanks heaps for the thread Nelle.

I just purchasesd some AIOs and waiting for them to arrive. I hope they work for me.

Theres quite alot to learn about nappies (who would ahve thought) and your post is great!

THANKS!

Not long to go before my bub's born and I'm trying really hard to get ready so I can bypass ever using disposables. I have just a couple more things to figure out:

I already have a bunch of microfibre boosters that came with my 6 BumGenius V3 plus some microfibre rags I can fold up which I thought might be useful to fold inside a flat nappy at night (of course, not touching baby's skin).

Should I purchase some bamboo boosters in preparation for a newborn, or will it be a little while before I need them (if so, how long)?

Nature's Cradle sells Mother Ease brand bamboo boosters for a great price, can anyone recommend these boosters or otherwise? I emailed nature's cradle a week or 2 back, but I never had a response which worries me. Can anyone recommend this web site? I don't know what the deal is, do they ship from SA to QLD or is it a local-only store?

Nature's Cradle also sell "hourglass fleece liners". Is this a good shape inside flats and/or MCNs like bumgenius? Do I need liners for a newborn? Actually, there's a waiting list for this product so if they're good I might as well go ahead and order them.

So many questions, sorry

Bamboo is great! If you do what everyone else does and change a nappy at every feed, you probably won't need bamboo until the feeds space out a bit more. Perhaps starting at 4 weeks? It's hard to know until bub is here really. :P

Haven't tried the Motherease Bamboo, but like I said, any bamboo is good. I haven't dealt with Nature's Cradle, but some of the others have - perhaps ask in General Chatter. There are nappy shops in Queensland too, Pookey Pockets has a bricks and mortar shop somewhere around Brisbane, and Nurture Nappies are Qland based. Baby BeeHinds sell good bamboo boosters, they're based in NSW, and you can buy through them, they might be stocked in a store, or you might have a demonstrator in your area.

To be honest, I don't bother with liners until bub is on solids. Until then, breastmilk poop is runny enough that it soaks into the nappy, and it just all goes in the machine. No worries. Solids changes things though (I use flushable liners for that 'transition week' where it's all gloop, and then it firms up enough to use fleece - who ever knew we'd be discussing poo in such detail?).

As for the hourglass shape - I've never used an hourglass liner (too lazy to cut anything but rectangles), but it could be good. I have some hourglass boosters that I quite like, for my tummy sleepers. I suppose shape is a preference thing.

Oh my! It seems to be all about trial and what works best.

Was always going to do prefolds and covers for new born.
    It was a cost thing to begin with and now my mum is allergic to plastic (and everything else for that matter) so if i want to utilise her as a baby sitter.... clothies it is

Mum's going to make the prefolds, from Bamboo, Hemp and cotton.
    then am going to get the covers and the snappi things to hold the prefolds on.

After that I think trial and error. A trial pack for each.
    BBeeHinds, Green kids and BGenius.

Any others that I should absolutely try?

Widdlewuns (on ozebaby) make great nappies, the snoozywuns are the best for nighttime!

Bubblebubs do a nice night nappy from bamboo too.

If you can find them, zappy nappy. They're flanno and they are brillo.

Righto nappy-holics!

i want to put the gremlin in full time cloth. i'll essentially be a single mum at least five days a week, so i'm thinking washing might be a bit of an issue, so want to have at least enough for three days (so can wash every second day, and dry inside if need be) - i want to know, if i've got cash that i want to put aside JUST for a nappy stash, how much would you recommend. i still have seven months to work out WHAT i need, but i don't want to leave myself short by spending on house reno's and not having enough money aside for MCN's - so, how much would you think i should put aside to start out???

i have been advised to buy a few different types to start out and then work out what works for our bub within a couple of weeks or whatever, but i'm trying to be responsible and budget for this while we're still DINK's! help me out here!

LOL.. I'm so the worst person to answer this - I've spent probably over $2000 on nappies - BUT - mine are all good quality, good name brands that you do pay a lot of money for - PLUS - I have enough to last about 4/5 days without needing to wash - for both kids - so thats a lot of nappies!!!!!

You really do need to see what fits best on your bub though - I've sold about 16 of my stash - with another 11 needing to be sold - because they just don't suit our long, extremely skinny, chicken legged bubbas

hehehe i think i'll be like you - but then, i only have one to buy for at this point!!

i was initially going to put $30 a week aside for the time i'm pg, which would be aroun $900 by the time i finish work - but we've had a bit of a cash injection and i want to put all the baby dollars aside, so would this be sufficient to get me going and not have to buy any more nappies for a while??

Mis tree, terry flats will be B U L K Y on a newborn - if you want to use flats, I'd go flannelette, or prefolds.

Alright Beeg. Um. Here's what I reckon. NB nappy changes can be often, since feeds are more often, and I changed at every feed. I like flanny flats or prefolds for this stage - cheaper and dry quickly - no elastic so can be tumble dried.

To be honest, if you're using flats and covers at the start, you could just use some Baby Bonus/Maternity Payment/Whatever It's Called for your stash.

Otherwise, give yourself say, 8 changes a day, times that by how many days worth of nappies you want, and then give yourself about $25 per nappy (some will be cheaper, some will be more exy, depending on what you want to get). So that equals about $600. Which sounds a lot upfront, but I've spent perhaps $1000 all up for both my boys, where sposies I would have spent about $2280 by now (at least, I accounted for 1 box Huggies per fortnight per kid just then in my rough calculation), and still be buying 2 boxes a fortnight.

ETA: Okay, if Mel reckons she's spent $2000...perhaps my $1000 was a bit conservative? Although I do wait for specials. Could depend on what type you buy too - I have heaps of fitteds with covers, and fitteds tend to be cheaper than AIO's, pockets cost mid range, but I make my own inserts with co-op bamboo, and make my own wipes and liners, so I cut costs there too.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast