Thread: If you can help me...you might just convert me...LOL

Default If you can help me...you might just convert me...LOL

Hi girls, I am currently using sposies and have done so for all 4 of my children (except for a brief encounter with terry flats with my first bub 16 years ago, lol). I am considering trying cloth again but am sooo confused with all the choices...and wondering if it is worth changing now if Jack will be my last bub (he's already 11 months).
    I was pretty sure that I would just use terry flats and buy some funky covers (16 years ago used to use plastic pilchers, lol) BUT then I was looking at some sites and most the covers cost almost as much as the AIO's. So I'm not really sure what to do. I bought a dozen terry clothes when Jack was born (which I use to line his change table, LOL, so I would only need to buy another dozen, if I buy AIO's I will be totally starting over, and I really don't have that kind of money.

Do you think its worth changing now?
    Is he getting too big to use flats and covers?
    If I buy AIO's will I then have to buy more when he gets a bit bigger...or buy even smaller ones if I do have another bub? (I haven't totally ruled that out, cluck..cluck..cluck, LOL)

Sorry I have so many Q's...and I think I will have a lot more when I can think of them, LOL....but I just feel the urge to do this and don't know where to start. I don't have a huge budget.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Try Buy4Baby to get some second hand MCN's, thats probably cheaper than buying new, and a cheaper way to dip your feet in to see if it works for you .

marlene...try B4B...
    also there are plenty of OSFM(one size fits most) nappies out there...and they will do bubs until TT....
    or ask around maybe someone could lend you a OSFM nappy to try out???

hun, if you feel like a trip up to sydney you are welcome to come to my plae and check out almost everybrand of mcn out there.............

i promise i wont make you an addict! lol.

ah but seriously i have lots and you are welcome to check them out

hun, if you feel like a trip up to sydney you are welcome to come to my plae and check out almost everybrand of mcn out there.............

i promise i wont make you an addict! lol.

ah but seriously i have lots and you are welcome to check them out

I think you would be fine with usin flats - I still use them on DS when he has a case of the runs.

Just get some awesome covers - you should only need about 4 PUL covers - depends if you want to use cloth overnight as well.

I wouldn't personally use flats of a night time if he is sleeping through. Although by your posts that I have read - that won't be a problem.. LOL

Then if you get really awesome covers (ie, like Mother-ease) you can resell them cos they are awesome awesome covers.

Oh you absolutely want another baby so you can have a good play with the MCN's!!!

Might as well go join the Fluffies Anonymous section now girlie

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Might as well go join the Fluffies Anonymous section now girlie

Yeah, i know hun...that's the problem...when I get something in my head I'm like a dog with a bone, and I'll just have to buy every type of cloth nappy known to man, LOL.
    Anyone know of a good hiding spot for bank statements?? PMSL.

Underwear drawer?

My Name is Ali and I am a MCN junkie

We started off buying 1 nappy when we didn't need sposies that week, so a fairly slow process, and then buying a heap in one hit with my tax cheque. We got OSFA because we had 2 in cloth at different sizes, and we didn't really have the budget for sized. We also got a range of brands to find what worked, and when we did do the big buy-up it was a brand that we found worked well for us. We used B4B and still have some of the nappies we got from there.

I also told DH when we first started that each time he used the cloth he was saving up to 50c per nappy, and the more he used cloth the cheaper it became. He was pretty easily converted considering we did it slowly. At 11 months he still has at least a year in nappies, so work out how much you spend on nappies per fortnight, and then work out that expense over a year. To have 1 child in MCN washing every day you would only need 24 nappies, but honestly, I dont wash every day, so my stash is much bigger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by alioops View Post
    To have 1 child in MCN washing every day you would only need 24 nappies, but honestly, I dont wash every day, so my stash is much bigger than that.
    Can I challenge that Ali I have 20 nappies and wash every second day, Matilda does sleep 12 hours straight at night though so in the same nappy. I use up to 5-6 nappies a day.

How many nappies does everyone else go through I change 3 hourly and 12 hours for night nappy (and of course an extra change when she poos).

Anyways... back to Marlene, I agree that he will be in nappies for maybe a year or so yet so definatly not to late to start. I would go for OSFA or maybe some large nappies too. I started with trting terry flats, did not suceed (I think due to my covers), I changed to AIO/AI2 and I love them and would never turn back. My staple nappies are Itti Bitti's and Baby Beehinds (mainly for night use).

It really isn't as daunting as it sounds .

rhyb Guest

I have 50 nappies and wash every second day have my favs obviously. I reccommend itti bittis, baby beehinds and Wild child. I bought most of mine off b4b and only 1 a week at first and slowly built up my stash.
    HTH

I just found the Cushie Tushie website....and I think I am IN LOVE!!!!!

I knew I wouldn't be happy with terry flats...why oh why did I go googling???

This is gonna cost me a fortune...and I have no patience...I know I will have to have them immediately.

Any opinions on Cushie Tushies? I like them because they are OSFM and AIO's...seems like a win/win..any hidden catches I should know about?
    Ya' all better reply quick before I go on a spending spree.

Marlene, BB members can get discount on CT's Most of my stash are CTs. I have no porblems whatsoever with them. I know they don't suit some kids, but they suit mine and we don't get leaks, even when Em has had diahorreah from eating the wrong things. They have a bigger snap in booster and a smaller lay-in booster (coutures) and the basix have a single sewn in longer booster. The coutures last much longer than the basix. I usually put a trifold in and use a soaker so I can use them overnight.

Do it!!!!
    I only changed over like 2 weeks ago. I'm using mostly terry flats atm, but I'm slowly working on my MCN stash as I can afford it.
    Do it, do it, do it!
    (Haven't got any CT yet, so can't answer that one )

I am starting on terry flats tomorrow, LOL, just have to go to Big W and get one those snappy things to hold it all together and a couple of covers. Am going to give my brand of MCN decision till Saturday (when I get paid) and then order some.

"yes darling...these new fancy nappies are very cheap...oh, and I got them on a half price sale"
    Reckon I'll get away with it?

Lol, I just never told him the price..... It works out cheaper in the long run!