Thread: Nappy Bag for cloth

Default Nappy Bag for cloth

Hi all

I am doing the flipping and flopping back on cloth VS disposable. I know all the arguments but am having moments where I think, " I won't have time" and "It's too hard". So am just going with the flow, continuing to research and will no doubt change my mind another 50 times before bub is born. In any case whatever I decide to do I want to have a bag that is big enough for cloth.

What bag do you use? I think a few have a normal bag but was after something that I could attach to pram handles and maybe use as backpack. Am thinking kapoochi at this stage (mini classic). The 'nappy holder' looks great for sposies, especially NB, but how does it work for cloth?

How many nappies do you generally take with you anyway? I imagine only 4 or even less unless you will be a long time. I am an overpacker from way back so will no doubt plan on packing the kitchen sink for a while, just in case

Thanks in advance

i usually only take one maybe two nappies out if its a short trip!! and a few sposies!! i have a nice knickers bag

I have a couple of emergency sposies in my nappy bag too. Usually I only take about 3 for an outing of a half-day. I've never had to use them all.

I have an allerhand messenger satchel, it's much smaller than most, but it suits my lifestyle. I (if I can manage to remember) take 3 like Snacks said, I don't even buy sposies so I don't have any backups but have never had a prob.

I have an OiOi CarryAll, and in one side it fits 4 nappies, wipes, wetbag, cream and the other side I chuck in clothes, toys, snacks, general crapola. Then there's a zip pocket on each side for wallet, etc, and a bottle holder pocket on each end. Plenty of room! Though the nappy side CAN be a little snug...but I totally don't need to pack 4 nappies, I've NEVER used them all at once haha! A nb might be different if you copped a run of poos...I haven't used this bag with a nb yet.

Some of the newer OiOi CarryAlls don't look like they have the zipper pockets on the outside. Mine's pretty roomy though!

I have a nappy bag which can be either a satchel type (that can go over the pram handles) or a backpck. I usually use it as the satchel though as I find it easier. I am not sure of the brand but the tag says Mommybag so I suppose thats the brand, lol! DH picked it out for me on the net while Claire I were still in hospital! Its got three sections and a few pockets on the inside to stick stuff in. Pockets are the perfect size for a nappy.
    Anyways, I am such a shocking overpacker! I really think I have a problem (is there an overpackers anonymous??) ... I usullly bring about 3 spare cloth nappies and 3 sposies!! I know, ridiculous.. but what if I need them!? I never have though. Ah well, I'm sure I will learn one day. I m getting better. I used to bring more nappies than that.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i like the sound of Nelle's.

i'm using a Fisher Price nappy bag i got at Baby Target, $60 mark. Easily fit four MCN nappies in there. my bub is 12 months old now. Depends how long we go out for, how many nappies she needs. Now she's having solids, having a silver compartment to keep a jar cool, her spoon and bib, is handy too. I think if you were FF-ing and needed bottle space, that would be a criterion too.

I also have a SPARES bag in the car, that always stays in the car, with nappies, wipes and spare change of clothes in it, we havne't needed it, but it's there for my peace of mind.

at newborn stage, the MCN needs were so different, we were using nb fitteds and prefolds with leg gusset covers to contain the nb poos. i was too unwell for first months to really go anywhere that wasn't medically related, think i used an old backpack cos i couldn't find a nappy bag i liked. THink i must have bought about ten nappy bags and returned them all, cos i worked out they were TOTALLY designed for sposies and nothing else.

Nappy bag needs to have
    - somewhere to put wetbag - and realise the wetbag will fill up as your outing goes on ( i also stuff in disposible nappy bags, for the one day i forget to pack the wetbag, hasn't happened, but i'm preprared ha ha !)
    - i really like the change mats that have a pocket for the wipes (so you're not scratching around for another thing) - only $8 at baby target
    - for a newborn, i would pack several covers (cos of the runny poo)
    - spare clothes for bub, if weather changes
    - spare top for mummy, after bubs has a big posset on your tshirt!
    - i like separate pockets adn compartments, hate the bags that are one enormous black hole
    - good to have the options of big strap to put over pram, straps to wear as backpack too if you want, cos some prams tip over if you put any weight on the handles, when baby is nb and very light.

i saw some lovely nappy bags on nurture nappies, but i'm very hands on, i would need to see them in person, to really ascertain whether they're right for me, i coudln't spend that much money i'd only seen a photo of. i gotta know for real. So you lucky FNQ gals that do see them IRL, i'd love to hear what you think!

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

LUEY - people use MCN in varying ways, it's gotta be what suits you, otherwise you won't do it. And no-one is "marking" you on it, it's up to you.

some people use MCN just at home - when they have that sorted out, they might extend that to going out as well.

sometimes it's also a matter of how set up you are to do it. I accumulate all my stash slowly during pregnancy, so was set to go when bubs came. The whole bit - not just the MCN, but having the Little Squirt and the washing routine set up too, from whoa to go.

i hear of people buying a "few MCN' to "give it a go" and i doubt i could have made MCN work (for me) doing it that way. Cos i think it would have been too easy to reach for the sposies, and if cleaning/washing them hadn't been straightforward, i would have given up easily. Because it IS a very different way of doing things. Hormonally, sleep wise, in every way, i doubt i could have coped with a newborn, sore body AND two different systems of nappying - too much of a head mash for me.

but we're all different.

Some people skip the nb MCN stage altoghether and use sposies for first three months, then use MCN.

read heaps, but in the end, follow what your heart tells you, listening to your gut is the best thing you can do. Mother guilt is all persuasive, but in reality, you don't get judged for how you nappy your bub, they just need SOMETHING to soak up their business!

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi View Post
    Mother guilt is all persuasive, but in reality, you don't get judged for how you nappy your bub, they just need SOMETHING to soak up their business!
    Thanks Gigi, It is surprising the number of older people, including my mum and MIL who have asked if I will use cloth. My MIL was quite happy to tell me that my DH couldn't wear sposies for more than a few hours without getting a red bot. But I think they have changed a bit since then. But other people do say, when I say I haven't decided, and I may try both - "oh once you use sposies you won't go back, and there is nothing better than seeing nappies hanging on the line, I used to do it and I managed....". I agree however they do look nice and great that they managed. It is awful how people do make you feel guilty.

I may be being given some flanny flats I think, so I might buy some covers and see how we go, plus some others (prefolds, BBH), or I may wait until I get the hang of things and try MCN when bub is older. It has to be something I want to do and can manage as otherwise they will just sit in the cupboard.

I went to Nature's cradle a while ago and the person in the shop was so lovely, heaps of information and it was great seeing them IRL.

Thanks everyone for you Nappy bag ideas.