Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newborn Flats?

Default Newborn Flats?

Okay, I'll be honest & say that before I came here I didn't even know there were any other kind of nappies than spossies & terry flats!

I am copying what my Mum did with my younger siblings & will be using spossies for out & about & terry flats with plastics the rest of the time... my question is though, are terry nappies okay for newborns or do I need to get something else for the first few weeks? (& if so, from where?!)

Any advice greatly appreciated!

You could get flannelette, they won't be as bulky, or alot of people recommend pre-folds for newborns. Terry towelling is still quite bulky on my son, who is nearly 5 months old. I only converted to cloth at about 3 months. Good luck with it

I say go for flanelette too. Terry towelling is just too bulky on a newborn bub!

From what the others have said prefolds are really good too. I didn't know about them so didn't use any. They cost a bit more but you can use them as pocket stuffers and boosters later on.

I used a combination of Flannelette Flats with snibs & prefolds with snibs/wraps/covers during newborn stage... I donbt recommend sposies as all they do with breastfed bubba's is LEAK, I used a few sposies & wore breast poo EVERY TIME!
    I now use Terry flats with snappi's & snibs/wraps/covers & still the prefolds with same!

We're using prefolds and covers and have had less leaks with them than the sposies, so very happy with them. We only use the sposies when we go out, just to get through the box we have, will go full time cloth once she's out of them though I think.

When DD was first born I tried her with Terry flats and they were just too big and bulky so didnt bother with cloth till she was about 6 months.
    I intend to use prefolds and covers (with gusset legs) while the baby is still little and then he will go into modern Cloth nappies like my dd

Where do I get the flannel nappies from? I had huge trouble even finding the terry ones anywhere anymore... and can I still use snappis with flannel?

Places to check are baby co, target or independant baby stores. The brand I have is Big Softies.
    Where are you? If you're in Melb they are almost due to have their factory sale again (yay!) and you'll be able to get some there...among other things

I'm in sydney. I will check Target again but I thought they only had the terry ones, if any. I got my terry ones from big w but they were all they had.

Will I need nappy pins for the flannel ones? How many (nappies) would you reccommend? (I already have about 40+ terry ones as my mum bought me some & I'd already bought some.

I got some flannelette ones from target, they were the target brand. I think they came in a pack of 6, so I would buy at least 1.5 doz. You can always use them later to help boost the terry ones. You will need the pins with flannelette, the snappis don't stick to them, or you could use a tight cover, which I have done a few times, seem to hold well, as long as its tight

Thanks ladies - will give Target another whirl.

I have never used nappy pin's, I kinda tuck the flanny nappy tightly on to bubs (like a bath towel when you tuck it stay on)
    Then tie the snib on securely & it's all held in place!

Ugh!! No luck at Target, the ones I went to don't even have terrys anymore let alone flanny ones... it's kind of depressing to see the shelves & shelves of sposies & no cloth...

Does anybody know where I can get some flanny flats online at a reasonable price...?? Or the number of a shop I could call to be sent some??

Thanks in advance!

I have Big Softies as well, I got mine from Baby Bunting. I agree with Sammi, you should be able to get them from any of the baby stores.

I used flannies until DS was about 4 months, then changed to TT. I use a snappi now, but didn't use anything with flannies, just made sure the cover/snib was on nice and firm!

If you haven't already, check out the eenees snibs, they are great to use with flats.

Terry flats are everywhere... even Woolworths (though they're not good quality). Not sure where to get flannel ones but have you considered making some? I'm sure you could get fabric from Spotlight.
    I would definitely recommend a pack of prefolds (Swaddlebees ones are unbleached cotton and sell as a pack of 6), as they are not as bulky and you can also reuse them later on as a booster.

Woot!! I finally found some flannel nappies!! They were at the 4th or 5th Target I tried (would you believe the others didn't even have TT ones?!) after much asking around at baby stores & general dissappoinment. I'm so happy!! Now all I need is some snibs - everyone says that pharmacies have them but the few I tried today didn't, but it's all good, I'll find em!

Can you use any other covers with these or are snibs really the best? I don't think I'd be all that great at using nappy pins so if there were other covers they'd need to hold the nappy on like snibs... any suggestions?

Who would've thought I'd get so excited about some bits of white cloth?!

You can get Snappi's from places like Big W which you use in plac of pins, they are like a T piece that holds the nappy together, althogh I am not sure how they work on FF.

You can get a range of covers online that can be used to hold a nappy on rather than pining it. The best ones are ones with the gusset legs, as they help contain the poo. Some brands to look at are Motherease Rikki, Bummis, Bambino Mio (I am sure there are more.)

That's great that you got the nappies!

I've never used pins. When I used FF I just wrapped the nappy tightly (using the bat fold), and used either an eenees snib (they are the best snibs as they're elasticised - no leakage!) or a Motherease Rikki cover. Now that I use TT I use a snappi, and then mostly Motherease covers still, though some BBH PUL.

HTHs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast