Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy prefolds

Default Where to buy prefolds

Hi
    I've been trying to find where to buy prefolds in Australia.

After searching the thread there have been several posts suggesting they are available for $3 each. I can only seem to find ones for $7-11 each!

Can anyone help me out with a name to google.

Nothing is showing up in ebay for Australian sellers when I search prefolds.

are they just the plain terry towelling nappies, but already folded with velcro sides??

I get so confused with all this nappy stuff...

Thanks Caro I've now put permanent ebay search on for prefolds. Found the hemp ones but at $8 each I am still hoping I can find the $3 variety somewhere.

Simone - prefolds are the next step up from a flat. They tend to have three panels - the middle one is thicker and more absorbent. Ozcloth has a good explanation of the different types of cloth nappies. It does take a bit to get your head around the vocab. Eventually it happens.

Thanks Kar GL with your search,

Little Koala sell them at a good price, but they are closed for Xmas break at the moment.

The $3 ones will be Cotton Prefolds, not hemp. The unbleached ones are so much nicer IMO - I loved these!

WeeWuns have Unbleached Infant Prefolds for $3.80, and yes they are unbleached cotton. I have one on order and if they are good enough I am planning on ordering about 20 and using them as my "at home" newborn nappy.

Snazzipants in NZ also have small unbleached prefolds for $NZ20 for a pack of 6, although you will also pay about $NZ15 for delivery.

Last edited by Shannon; February 16th, 2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: removing links

im trying to find the $3.80 ones... Anna, would you pleawse be able to email me the actual page (or the link to the page, not the homepage??) Im hopeless at finding these things, especially as i have no idea what its all about sometimes!!

Simone, its only the infant size that are 3.80, is that the size u want?
    from the main page pick prefolds & flats -> cotton and hemp prefolds, and scroll down to 'Unbleached infant prefolds'.
    the other sizes are more expensive.

Thanks rach - they would prolly just fit anneliese (she's just 5kg) but ill go the next size up to get more wear out of them

Rollergirl - The ones from WeeWuns are lovely. You will be happy with the quality of them... just washed them first as they are a little stiff when new, but go really soft after a wash.

Simone - Sending you the link now... ETA: I can't send you link as I am not platinum, if you message me with your e-mail I will send to you.

I used cotton prefolds, generally paid about $3 for them. The cotton unbleached ones are indeed much, much nicer, and worth the extra $1 or so.
    Hemp ones will be more absorbant, they might not need so much boosting, and then there are terry ones too (from baby beehinds).
    I got my unbleached ones from butterfly cheeks when I got my wonderoos as they were giving a free infant sized one with every trial nappy as a stuffer.
    Infant sized didn't fit my little girl until she was about 4.5kg, but they went nicely inside a small bummis cover. I have a heap of them now - about 2doz or so PLus another dozen in regualr, and about 1.5doz in newborn.

Thanks everyone.
    And a particular thanks to Fi - I've ordered a bakers dozen infants unbleached prefolds from Butterfly Cheeks for $42 - so $3.23 each. Little Koala looks good too. Have been leaving messages for Snazzipants both email and by phone - no response in three weeks though - so not sure if they are still in business or just taking a long holiday.

Snazzipants ladies were on holidays, but they're back now. I got the trial pack that has 6 small prefolds, just waiting for baby to turn up so I can try them out!

I really like using the unbleached cotton prefolds from thre weewuns. They soften up really nice and fit snug as well.

The unbleached cotton prefolds from the weewuns (or anywhere) look really nice! A couple of questions though....

Do they need to be boosted? (I am a nappy novice, maybe all flats/prefolds need to be boosted at times???)

What have you found to be the best cover for them?

I am also looking at bamboo flats. Should I try both? What do you think would be the main difference between the two?

TIA everyone!

For a newborn, the prefolds wont need boosting - as you tend to change them whenever they wake (lots). Should you continue using prefolds once bub has outgrown the newborn stage and using the next size ones; then they will likely need boosting overnight or on longer sleeps. That being said, hemp or bamboo prefolds would last a lot longer than cotton (but pricier too).

I don't know much about bamboo flats, other than that you would need to fold them (same as terry or muslin flats) - but I would assume they would be nice and absorbant and bub wont outgrow them.

You can also use your newborn prefolds to stuff pocket nappies, so they aren't wasted once they are outgrown. Though I did figure out that even if I threw mine out (I didn't!) that it was still way cheaper then using sposies for the first few months fulltime.

Most PUL covers will fit fine over prefolds, you don't even need to pin/snappi them with some covers, just lay inside the cover and do up.

Thanks Anna!

I have bought some of the weewuns cotton prefolds.......going to pick up my parcel today YAY! I've got some flanny flats as well to start with.

Looking at a few PUL covers, and maybe a wool one as well ATM. If anyone has any recommendations that would be great

And if anyone has any tips for putting prefolds on bubs, and folds for the flanny flats I'd really appreciate it!

It's exciting getting nappies in the mail, isn't it! I got my weewuns prefolds yesterday. One or two more washes and they're ready for use

I use the snappi one on DD, but fold the bit where it overlaps over as she's quite small.
    Last edited by ~Raven~; February 27th, 2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: removal of links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast