Thread: Where do I even start??

Default Where do I even start??

Hi everyone,

Even though we are only just about to start TTC, we have begun thinking about baby products and coming up with a bit of a budget etc, so I'm after some info about cloth nappies!

16 years ago when my little sister was born my Mum used cloth nappies. I remember them being huge squares that she used to always try to teach me to fold!! I also remember Mum always putting plastic pants over the nappy and making special tie pants that went over them.

Anyway, i would love to use cloth nappies, better for the budget and environment but I have no idea where to start Although I will have some disposables for emergencies or when DH is on duty!

I have been doing loads of reading on here and online but I everyone is using the different names and talking about 'modern cloth nappies' and I didn't know you could get ones that aren't just big squares!

I would love for anyone who has the time to give me as much info as you can!

Thanks in advance,

check out the 'baby beehind' website or 'darlings downunder' and you can see pics of modern cloth nappies and info on howthey work. thereis a sticky somewgere with info for newbies, hopefully someone else can put the link.

Thanks heaps Kate! I did check that thread out but it was still too advanced for my lack of knowledge! I looked at those websites, they are great, I can't believe how advanced nappies are now! Thanks again!

Always start at the beginning

Australian Nappy Network webpage has all the info you need to know to get started, and is not biased to a brand at all, it is an advocacy page. Here: Australian Nappy Network |
    Check out in particular the info under the "Nappies" tab.

Once you have done that, head over to the Cloth Nappy Discussion threads and stalk for a while if you don't feel comfortable posting, you will pick up so much just from reading, and you can scope out some of the sites out there and the nappy options available.
    Everything else will flow from there

If you have any questions post them in the nappy section, we are always happy to enable ...I mean help... newbies, and there is no such thing as a silly question - we all asked them at one stage and it can be a daunting process

HTH!

*double post*

Thanks LimeSlice, that is a great website! I cannot believe how amazing nappies are these days! I've watched loads of the ANN videos on youtube and I think I'm starting to work it all out! Thanks again for your help, i have a lot to learn!

Don't be afraid to use those old white squares as well, they actually work well and if you don't end up using them as nappies they are still great as burp rags or soaking up spills.
    I've actually been preferring them over my mcn's..

Hey im also a newbie with MCN
    From what ive gathered its alot of trial and error.

at the start i used itti bitti becuase they came in small sizes and now im using the cushie tushies!

Thanks girls! I've spent the day on the couch researching! My Mum is a dress maker and I'm almost considering getting her on the job!

Making your own is definitely a viable option - they're not that hard, even for amatuers.

I hemmed some flannel flats and also made some prefolds- great for newborns. If you get a good cover they work really well. check out snappys- better than the old safety pins.