Thread: 8 Weeks old with Colic

midg Guest

Default 8 Weeks old with Colic

Hi

I have a new baby nearly 8 weeks old, and he has Colic. I've been to the doctor and they confirmed it, but apparently there is nothing that you can do for it. :smt102

Does anyone have ANY suggestions????? I really need some help.

I've used Infacol, and this seems to work sometimes but not all the time. Does anyone have any feedback on other medications or treatments to try?????

Custardtart Guest

I don't know of anything that cures colic, but I've found a few management techniques that help reduce the intensity of it.
    I try to feed Max while I am lying down as I find he swallows less air that way.
    Warm baths help him relax and move bubbles through his stomach more easily, although sometimes he just lies in the bath and screams from pain instead of relaxing, so it't not sure-fire.
    Something I noticed with two of my children is to make sure after feeding I keep them upright on my shoulder patting their backs until they have burped, no matter how long it takes, or I can guarantee they will wake crying two hours later.

I went through a phase of trying every medication on the chemist's shelf and didn't find anything that worked better than infacol (despite the claims on some of the labels). It really is just something they have to grow out of, the best you can do is try to minimise the symptoms.

Good luck, and here's hoping he grows out of it soon!

Kerrie

Another thing to try is just some cooled boiled water in a bottle. Maybe slightly warm (luke warm). Ihave found this to be good with Coco. I also use Infants friend and like those drops bettr than the others I've tried. Good luck and please let me know if you find something really good~! ox

kellie Guest

Default COLIC RELIEF HOPE IT HELPS 8WK OLD

HI WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU WHAT WORKED FOR LUCY NOW 1YR OLD.A CHIROPRACTOR MADE A DIFFERENCE TO LUCY'S NECK AND ABDOMINAL AREA DUE TO CHILDBIRTH ITSELF.WE LIVE IN GEELONG AND MOST PEOPLE TOLD US TO TRY A COLIC MIXTURE MADE UP ESPEACILLY FOR YOUR BABY ,IT BROUGHT SOME MUCH NEEDED RELIEF.WOODLANDS PHARMACY IN HIGHTON MAKES IT WE WERE DESPERATE TO HELP LUCY AND OUR SANITY.I ALSO RECCOMEND THERE TEETHING MIXTURE.WE HAVE SINCE FOUND OUT PEOPLE ORDER THE MIXTURES TO INTERSTATE WHEN NEEDED.GOOLUCK.

Katie1982 Guest

Hi,

I also have an 8 week old with colic. He was also on Infacol and it only worked sometimes. Last night I started him on Gripe Water and it seems to be working. I give him 2.5ml instead of 5ml (he was 4 weeks prem) after each feed. I phoned the chemist to confirm the dosage I should give him because he really is only 4 weeks old. I also give him a top up dose every 2 hours if required but this can only be repeated 6 times in a 24 hour period.
    I had him on NAN HA which I was told by the nurse yesterday is known to give babies wind. I now have him on S26.
    He is currently on 120ml of formula and I burp him after every 30ml and stop him from sucking too hard on the bottle. I also have him using anti-colic teats on his bottles which allow the excess air out instead of him swallowing it.
    I'm not sure if you are breast or bottle feeding so that may be no help to you at all.
    The nurse also told me to alter his sleeping positions during the day (on each side and on his tummy when being supervised) and only have him on his back at night. This keeps them more comfortable.
    The other thing I have found to ease the pain with Ethan is when he is screaming in pain, I hold his tummy tightly up against me. This seems to work. I also massage his tummy and push his legs up.
    I think its all trial and error.
    Good luck with it all.

Have you heard of Infantile Massage? I'm taking Dylan to a 4 week course - we've just had our 3rd class and we were taught a colic routine. Dylan doesn't have colic so I can't tell you if it works, but the instructor says she's had good feedback from other clients whom it's helped. I'm sure there are courses run in all the major cities -do a google of the Infantile Massage Association. Dylan LOVES his massage, I try to do a routine every day with him now -it's great bonding as well as relaxing for them, and apparently it stimulates brain development also.

Good luck!

I was going to recommend massage as well. Infant massage is a great way to relieve colic pain. I also used Brauer's colic homeopathic relief & it worked well as well.

Have a look at our thread at the top called Colic, tried & tested it has links to previous threads discussing colic.

I'm going to lock this thread now, feel free to continue the conversations on colic in the tried & tested thread. Thanks