Thread: Baby Farts!

Default Baby Farts!

I don't have much trouble getting Si to burp, but his wind seems to be more troublesome in his tummy...does anyone have any other ideas on how to help him get it out of his business end?

I try and cycle his legs (kinda tricky with a 3 week old) and rub his belly, with not much success.

Brauer's colic relief has helped him burp too, so at least he's getting some wind out before it hits his gut.

What's working a treat right now (as in he's farting as I type), is having him on his tummy across my lap and rubbing/patting his back.

He's still just so windy though, and seems so uncomfortable - I feel really sorry for him, and am just wondering if I'm missing something really obvious that I could be doing to help him...

I used infants friend when my kids were like that.. also a nice deep warm bath helps..

~Belinda~ Guest

Infants Friend is the stuff...!

I've also found that Infants friend has been fantastic for Gabe who seemed to have lots of pain from colic and wind. ALso you could pop him on his tummy on the floor, or lie down and put him on his tummy on you, that always seems to get lots of wind out.
    I've also gone off of Dairy, Wheat and Gluten which has helped but is very restricting of your diet - I did it as Gabe had shocking colic.
    The Infants friend has been the best and I always notice a difference if I've forgotten to give it to him.

We do the tummy thing, either across our laps on on one arm, head in the crook, belly to arm. Luckily Oliver loves being on his tummy. TBH having a bit of a snacky feed seems to work the best - oral-anal reflex and all that, he farts all the time while feeding (and he stinks!).

I used to carry Nina around across my arms, while she laid on her tummy, and patted her back. That would help with the wind.
    Other than that and the other suggestions, maybe it's something in your diet? Have you given up those frozen cokes yet???

Yeah, I haven't had any coke in ages. Waiting til his wind settles down a bit before I start up again.

So people find Infant's Friend better than Brauers? Or just tried Infant's Friend and not Brauers?

Ohh Carrie, I'm hardly eating as it is, I forget! I'm staying away from cabbage, but still drink milk.

Lee, Si does erm, output a bit while feeding, trouble is, if he snacks he spews.

Thanks heaps for the advice (and others feel free to add your 2cents too, I'd love to hear what worked for others)!

I swore by the Brauer colic relief. Celeste wouldnt let me do the tummy thing cause of reflux but cycling the legs was great. I also took her nappy off to get better leg movement and did leg presses too. Gently pressing her knees to her tummy and that was her favourite. It stopped the screaming pretty well straight away. And a nice warm deep bath with lavender baby stuff to relax everything worked too. Too much tension when all that screaming is going on stops things moving down I think.

Are you just rubbing his tummy or doing the propper massage? Be sure to avoid the diaphram and only go clockwise looking down at him on his back. The intestines go right out to the side on a little one too.

The biggest tip I got was with feeding. She had too much wind to feed comfortably and was only snacking. I was so busy always putting her onto the other side everytime (as I had been told to) and cause the wind was stopping her having the whole feed that she was only getting foremilk all the time which has high sugar levels = more wind. It was a vicious cycle. After I found that out and made sure I kept putting her to the same side till it was drained before starting the other side, it made all the difference.

Hm thats all I can think of, dont have the nappy too tight? Avoid cabbage and stuff. Not too much caffein, all that jazz. Im sure youve thought about all that already.

Hope it goes soon for both of your sakes.

Yeah Sazz, I'm rubbing clockwise, but it didn't occur to me about their intestines reaching all the way to the side, I'll move a bit to the right. :P

And a big hmmm about the feeding. I really am still getting my head around the boys' differences. River would feed one side, then the other. Silas is often pulling off (cos of his wind), and after awhile I just offer the other side, which is full, he drinks heaps and then spews...
    Perhaps Si will be a one-side-at-a-time baby most of the time...

Is Celeste still windy Sazz? If not, when did things settle?

Yes, Celeste is often a one side feeder, since sorting that foremilk thing out. That really was the cornerstone for us!

She is no longer colicky (hooray). Im not sure exactly when it subsided as I was too scared to take her off the Brauer too early. As it is homeopathic the benefit is in continual use, not just when the symptoms pop up that day. I just cut a dose out here and there around 9weeks so that she was getting 2 or 3 doses a day and then stopped it completely around 10weeks. She was fine by then.

Sounds like Silas is very similar to Celeste. The feeding sounds the same, the wind, snacking, spewing (that has increased since the colic ended unfortunately). Maybe try the feeding technique?

Our fifth baby is on a formula for reflux and allergies,but the only problem is the wind factor is like a 10 on the rictor scale! I call it, the let it rip scale. I think this little one most deffinately takes after his father,lol."As Shrek would say,better out than in Donkey!"!

Sazzafrazz thanks for the tip on the wind and foremilk, that could explain why my baby is always unsettled after a feed. He feeds sometimes for 5 mins on each side or just the side because it is so full, so next feed I will just make sure I try to empty the breast before offering another.
    My baby gets really bad wind got some Infants Friend today so hopefully that will work too.

Let us know how you go Shell, the Brauer's really helped us, and then I found that as time went on and his gut matured more, things are getting better - he's 6 weeks now, and while he still gets uncomfortable and squirmy with wind pain, it doesn't seem to be half as bad as it used to be!

Just thought I'd pop in to mention that to anyone who is in my situation - it seems some babies start to grow out of windiness...

Nelle - Euan suffered awfully from wind up until about three months. I found that making sure he was held upright for as long as possible after a feed, feeding on one side each feed, and making sure that he burped helped. If the wind did get down into his lower gut, then I used the various positions - lying on his tummy over my arm, over the knees, or sitting with his legs in between mine and rocking him forwards and back (bringing him as far forward as comfortable to force the wind down), these all helped bring the farts on. If all else failed and he was distraught, the snacky feed worked to relax him, but I always put him on the same side as he'd last fed on, to avoid increasing the gas from the foremilk. Oh, and I cut all chocolate and caffeine too.

He doesn't get the discomfort now, but now he just farts. He woke himself (and us) up last night farting. And we're not even in the same room.

Hope you find relief for Si while it lasts - it won't last forever fortunately!

My bub had terrible wind when he was little, well he still has it now, but I tried everything but I found that INFACOL drops and WELEDA baby colic powder ( I got it from a health food shop) worked really well. You just mix it with warm water and seringe it in their mouth.