Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boiled water

Default boiled water

Hi, Im wanting to give Coco some cooled boiled water in a bottle to see if it helps with her tummy pain. Im just wondering how to boil the water. I figured just kettle boiling might not be good enough. Do I have to do it in a saucepan? xo

We used to do it in a sauspan for 5 minutes. But what about boiling the kettle like 4-5 times i think that would be the same?

Maybe all kettles boil to above 100 degrees? I'm not sure but I have ever only boiled the kettle once for Matthew. But I must admit he wasn't as young as Coco when he first had it so I am not sure if that matters.

Golly I am no help am I!

I just know that when there was the water contamination in sydney we couldn't drink kettle boiled water, so Im thinking it would be the same with newborns. Thanks for trying to help anyway!!! I might boil in the saucepan but will see if anyone else has ideas xoxo

Erm, call me crazy (I'm only being cheeky not rude...just re-read and thought I'd put that ) but when I bottle fed Paris we only boiled the water once. If you are worried about giardia etc you can use a water filter then fill the kettle with filtered water before boiling, but in all honesty I'm sure its fine. And chamomile is good too!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Melinda Guest

I only ever boiled the water in the kettle for Jacob too - and just the once! I didn't boil it multiple times or anything like that.

We use filtered water and I would boil that once in the kettle....

Wouldnt boiling it a saucepan be the same? Boiling water is at the same temperature either way isnt it? I worked in a child care centre (very briefly - many, many moons ago) and they only ever boiled the kettle to use for formula, so I dont see that it would be any different?

Same here - I have only ever boiled tap water in the kettle once.

We have a Birko and it is great. It is easy to boil it for 5 mins and we use filtered water.

I think the thing is that certain bugs like giardia don't dissappear if the water has only hit boiling point for a few seconds, so filtered water in the kettle "should" be okay & thats what we used truthfully but for all intent purposes its best for the water to actually boil for the full 5 minutes, so doing it in the saucepan is best at first I did that for the first 6 weeks, or until her body got a bit more immunity through the breastmilk & then I used the kettle/filtered water technique.

Pietta Guest

Yep i have never heard of the 5 minute thing so sorry i cant help you but Ryley was bottle fed pretty much straight away and he only ever had the once boiled water and he is fine and dandy!!

Thats was also from word go

Debbie Lee Guest

I'm another one that has only ever boiled tap water in a kettle once.

Have onky ever used kettle water myself. I did find though on cyh website that it depends on where you live what yoiu need to do with the water.
    Water
    We recommend that water used for making formula and for giving as a drink is boiled for babies under 6 months.
    Fill the kettle with fresh water from the tap. Water should be brought to the boil, then cooled before using.
    Always measure the water to mix with formula after it has been boiled.
    Water for making formula that will be stored for some hours should be boiled as long as the baby is having bottles. The formula should be stored in sterilised bottles.
    If the formula is made up at the time of drinking, Australian city tap water does not need to be boiled after the baby is 6 months of age.
    Tap water does not need to boiled for babies over 6 months of age to drink.
    Tank water (rain water) does need to be boiled. Rain water should always be boiled for children under the age of five.
    Spring water and purified water should be boiled, if kept after opening, for children up to one year of age.

Hmmm that's interesting. We're still boiling water for Zander's bottles, I thought I still had to, but it's become a habit so I think we'll continue to do so. For drinks of water, I give Zander bottled water rather than tap cos it can be pretty icky out of our taps sometimes anyway.

Debbie Lee Guest

Yeah...same here Sarah. We have old plumbing and the water can be a little rusty if I don't let the tap run for a bit.
    I'm hardly surprised that we really don't need to boil water after 6 months. I imagine the water quality in this country is pretty good so it's not always necessary.
    I'm the same tho... I still boil the water for Gabby's bottles. I figure there's only 2.5 months left and she'll be on cows milk anyway

Does everyone still sterilise their bottles? I always said I would stop once Gabby starts crawling around and sticking all manner of things in her mouth but I just can't bring myself to do it. It's not like it's much effort to sterilise them anyway (I just have a microwave steriliser).

I stick everything in the dishwasher which is hot enough to sterilise anyway! We're still on formula over here until May/June/July depending on Drs instructions due to eczema.

Debbie Lee Guest

I should do that too. I only have 6 bottles tho and it takes a good couple of days for our dishwasher to fill up (I hate putting it on when it's only half full because I feel like I am being a wally with water). I may just have to go and get another couple of bottles maybe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast