Thread: Colic, reflux, wind???? None?? All?? HELP!

Default Colic, reflux, wind???? None?? All?? HELP!

When feeding (either breast or bottle) Ethan pushes away crying. I sit him up and rub his back to burp him, he does burp (and fart on accasion). If he gets more distressed I put him over my shoulder and rub (or pat) his back. Sometimes he will fall asleep there and other times it takes a while for him to calm down before I try to feed him again. I give him Infacol before each feed to try to help but I don't really know what the problem is. At first I thought it was reflux but I saw a paed who thought he wasn't getting enough so I am now topping him up with a bottle. This seemed to work for a while and he was more content and not crying as much after a feed but now he is crying again.

I have just bought the Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles which say that they can help with Colic.

I just want to help my little boy so that he is more comfortable feeding but it is so heartbreaking seeing him crying at every feed. It also makes me dread feeding time. Any help would be appreciated.

Lynn: Just a question, does he cry when you are lying him on his side and it he is not feeding. Could it be that he has a sore neck/shoulder/back? Just a thought.

Keep persisting hun, you are doing a great job.

Spring

No Spring he actually likes to be on his tummy and side. That is usually how I get him to sleep on his side and then roll him onto his back once settled.

Ok just another totally out there thought, could it be some sort of lactose intolerance? I really don't know anything about it but I'm just trying to think of anything that might help.

Lynn - when does it happen?? Every feed?? Occasionally?? What is your flow and supply like?? Are you still spraying and do you have lots of volume?? A few more details and I can see what past experience I may have to offer.

Just remember - you are doing a fabulous job and there are moments in these early weeks that send you completely nuts and you wonder if you are getting anything right. You are doing it right. It will get better

Default Reflux??

Just read your message, personally I think it sounds like reflux. My DD done the same as your wee one! I switched to formula and it settled the symptoms for a time and then it flared up again! After a week of her not feeding I took her to the Dr and she prescribed ranitidine, which worked for a time, she is now on Losec and she is much more happy!

I would suggest that you note down when the symptoms appear and see if there is a pattern to them, like the others said, when does it happen? when BF what have you eaten?

It doesn't say where you live, I would take a look at Welcome to Crying Over Spilt Milk Gastric Reflux Support Network NZ for Parents of Infants & Children Charitable Trust it will give you some hints and tips as well as what to look for. Another thing you could try is Infant Gaviscon.

Best of luck!!!

He pretty much cries after every feed but after b/f it is much much worse. After a bottle he is a little whingy but then he is ok after a burb.............I am think it is now just wind???? I don't know. He does guzzle very fast on the breast which obviously can't be controlled but on a bottle I have changed to the smallest teat and this seems to have worked because he isn't guzzling. I am seeing the GP this week so I will ask her about Reflux and see if I can get that ruled out and then it may just be that he has probs with wind.

Lynn, if you are concerned that your flow may be too fast for him, try leaning back a bit when you bf. It helps to slow the flow.

HTH!

Has he always done this? My DD did the same, and it was suggested that i had an oversupply of milk so adopted a strategy of single side feeding which has dramatically helped. It's also known as lactose overload (NOT intolerance).

So i feed on one breast for a 3 hour period and then switch to the other breast after 3 hours (rather than offering both breasts in the feed). This means the breast gets drained a lot better and she gets more of the slower digested fattier milk. It has made a massive difference for us.