Thread: colic -witching hour

maggie Guest

Default colic -witching hour

Hi

DS does not cry much during the day except frm between appr 5.30-8pm, obviously witching hr-colic. he is very upset at these times. and then calms down and is in bed by 9pm.. Does anyone know when they grow out of these yukky hrs..

My DD is the same but hers starts a bit later, between 8pm & about 10pm.
    I think from memory my boys did the same thing till about 2 or 3 months old. I can't remember exactly though, might not have been for as long...
    I have found a bath just before 8pm helps heaps.

These yuck hours change over the years, but I don't think they entirely diminish. Colic is painful for them as newborns so have you tried doing things like baths & massage at the beginning of the cranky time, so maybe 5-5.30pm start with a bath & massage to help push out the wind before feeding? If you feed over wind it can make it more difficult for the babies to get it out. I have found massage to be a life saver with colic in Matilda & when Jovie suffers from wind now. Also holding positions help her with the pain in the belly, slings are fantastic for newborns as they hold them more upright & close to you and you can have an arm or two available to move around more.

Christy, What type of massage do you find helps with wind?

Sorry Fiona... I did some infant massage classes through the MCHN's nearby when Matilda was little.

With wind I generally do circles around her belly in a clockwise motion in big movements & I rub down her arms & shoulders and then circles in the belly again & then go down the legs. I push both legs up so her knees are almost touching her belly & then pull them straight around 5 times and do circles again. I roll her over onto her belly & rub her back using the circular motions concentrating on her lower back & pulling motion downwards. Then I pop her back & do more belly rubs & a few bicycle legs in slow & deliberate motions. Everytime I do a massage on Jovie she farts like there is no tomorrow. Its amazing how much wind one little body can collect!!

I know there are heaps of baby/infant massage classes here in Brissy.

Thanks Christy, sounds like wat I do now, well basically. I will try doing everything that you are doing & see if that helps her some.

Emma, I soooo want a hammock!

YEah our hammock is fantastic. Jovie sleeps really well in it once we get rid of the wind

Do you think she gets hot in it?
    I have moved Isla to the cot now, just seemed to confined in the bassinet & with the heat I was scared she be too hot in there.

Fiona I wrap Jovie in a muslin wrap in the hammock and maybe with a body suit on. We have a ceiling fan and its on low too but she seems to get cold at night so I toss a second muslin wrap over her lower body and that does the trick.

i'm keen to try the massage as well. Ella has suffers from wind every so often and it seems to be so painful for her. The last bout at 3pm had her screaming for an hour!

I bicycled her legs for a bit and she calmed down but didnt fart. I'll have to try the massage later after bathtime.

Ann

Mickandnae Guest

Thumbs up colic releif

Hi, my daughter is now 7 weeks, she was prem and weighing only 5lb. She got colic really bad, she would not sleep at all during the day and would just cry and wiggle and her legs never stopped. I read a lot on colic and found a site that suggested that Acidophilus power may relief some pain. I'm happy to say for me this worked, she is now more settled during the day, she's not perfect but she is have better sleeps during the day and now sleepos through the night. The dosage I gave her is what Inner Health Plus recommened was before each feed dip my damp finger into powder and let her suck it off. I now do this 3 times a day to keep her regular. Also this has stopped every nappy from being dirty and now get 1 dirty nappy a day which is a lot thicker and she does not cry to empty her bowels. You can phone Inner Health and they are really happy to help ( www.innerhealth.com.au) click on contact us. I hope this may help someone else.
    Goodluck :P