Thread: Could it be reflux?

Default Could it be reflux?

I am wondering if my daughter is suffering from a mild case of reflux or silent reflux. Over the past couple of weeks she has become increasinly difficult to settle after a feed, she doesnt cry much but is very fussy. She often gets the hiccups, and when we put her down to sleep she will have a spew even if it is a couple of hours after a feed. She sleeps well when being held and in the upright position but as soon as we put her down she wakes up. She spends alot of time poking out her tongue, and in the last couple of days she has become aggitated while feeding, pulling up her legs and turning her head around.
    She hasnt had any trouble with weight gain, she is already 900gm over birth weight, so maybe I am reading a bit much into it.
    Any advice?

Reflux has a few different things that generally help diagnosis. I would definately have a check with your MCHN or GP to figure it out. A few indicators are feeding issues, where they get very fussy & pull on & off the bb's and often it is associated with pain as well, so 10 minutes or so after a feed they will scream & be unsettled. Vomitting is another sign of reflux, but silent reflux is where they have all the signs but not heaps of vomitting.

With reflux a weekly weigh in is important for the diagnosis as well. Sometimes babies who drink too much milk vomit a bit later, but sometimes there is a form of reflux called "happy chucker" where there is heaps of vomit, but no other signs of distress.

I think the crankiness & unsettled part of reflux is the highest indicator that something is wrong and is worth getting checked out.

Matilda had silent reflux & quite a few issues with it as well.

Positioning as Theresa said is key. Try keeping them on an incline for 30minutes after every feed. If they are asleep & you want to put them in their cot, prop up the top end of their cot by rolling up a blanket & putting it under the mattress at the very top. Otherwise put them in a rocker or hold them in a sling to keep them upright. This helps tremendously.

I don't know, maybe call the ABA & find out. We only knew there was something wrong with Matilda when she was 6 weeks old and at her check up I told the GP that she was screaming from 6-8 hours a day. I had no idea. At that time the GP did a full check up and found that Matilda had burns on the back of her throat from regurgitating stomach acid. Matilda had a healthy weight gain, fed every 2 hours & didn't sleep because everytime we laid her down, she was in pain.

My DS reflux symptoms were;
    spilling alot of milk after every feed, Usually between 5min & 30min after his bottle. He would also scream in pain after every bottle, and would stretch out. He had it from 2 weeks old, and he didnt grow out of it until he was around 10 Months old.
    We put books under the feet of his bassinet and cot at the head, so that it was raised, so that his stomach contents wouldnt rise to his throat IYKWIM. Under Dr advice we gave him 1ml of mylanta before and after most feeds. We would also sit him up for at least 15min after every single bottle, which really helped.
    He also had hiccups every day, and he would actually get stressed with them, and start crying not long after starting them.
    DS was fussy with feeding, as I think he knew what pain he would be in for after taking it.
    The other thing is, air pockets in their belly that cause wind, and if they get the wind up with a burp so to speak, it could bring the milk up that was sitting on top of the wind pocket, if that makes sense.
    I also found when DS was around a month old, he would cry when we put him into his bassinet. I discovered that he just wanted to be held most of the time. They love to hear your heartbeat and breathing noises. We discovered a gadget, that you can put on the bassinet/cot that makes these type of noises, such as heartbeat, water running etc, you could chose the sound your baby prefered. I found that as soon as i got him to sleep and put him in his bassinet, with the sounds, he slept better and didnt wake.
    The other thing I thought was Thrush in the mouth...Just a thought, as i think this can be painful for them also. It is white patches on the tongue and roof of the mouth.
    Perhaps just a visit to your Dr, may help alay your worries.
    Good luck, I hope i have been some help.

Ah yeah I forgot to mention the back arching... and stretching out straight. That happens alot with tummy pain. Infant massage can help with the wind too, we used to do massage every sleep time.

Well I am hoping to make an appointment to see the Dr. today, we had a horror evening yesterday, poor little thing just screamed. Eventually last night I put her to bed on her side instead of her back and used rolled upnappies to stop her rolling over and she stayed asleep. We think she is having a really hard time breathing when she is on her back- because she makes some really strange sound- like she is struggling for a breath, but when she was on her side she was fine. Hopefully the Dr. will be able to give me some answers.

good luck at the docs today Ali.
    hope its nothing too serious.
    The others have pretty much summed up what to try for a reflux baby.
    Nixon has been subscribed with Zantec, apparently it can take a few weeks to kick in.Mylanta is another one. all this liquid stuff though doesnt stop the chucking just the pain associated with it.
    If it is reflux you could try out a (well recommended) chiropractor or osteopath. ive had Nixon done once and it can apparently take 7-8 times to help.

Another one to try if you find she is vomitting when she is being changed is turn her on her side to change her nappy rather then bringing her legs up and squishing her tummy.
    if you have a rocker or something she make prefer to sit in that where its partially elevated then on the floor.
    also with propping the bassinet/cot up it should be about 45 degree angle. when we first did it it was only very slight but wasnt making a difference. MCHN told me it needs to be 45degrees.

Let us know how you get on.

Ali, Matilda made that same sound on her back & even had clear fluid dribbling out the side of her mouth which apparently was stomach acid. We often did the cloth nappy prop up on the side and kept the cot on an incline. The MCHN actually told us to put Matilda to sleep for day sleeps on her belly because that was the only way she would settle. She never once slept on her back until she was around 13 months.