Thread: Did your 2nd baby have reflux too?

Default Did your 2nd baby have reflux too?

DS had terrible silent reflux which made the newborn period miserable for us all and set up really bad sleeping patterns which have only finally corrected around 18 months. I am now pregnant with no. 2 which has got me slightly terrified as I am really not looking forward to going through the newborn phase again. Most of our issues last time were due to the reflux so I wondered how many of you who had refluxy babies went on to have the same issue with subsequent babies?

same here... i am so hoping this little one doesnt have it! its terrible!

In our case Yes My DS (our 1st) had terrible GO Reflux. Very very spewy, screaming in pain... The worst reflux... We then had DD and i noticed all the signs early and we got on top of it. She has silent reflux. I found the ladies here helped so much this time as they gave me tips and advice. We started with the brauers and it helped so much. (she ended up with both colic and reflux but thankfully it has since been easy tomanage. we avoid certain foods now shes on solids

Thanks Jess_84. I have my fingers crossed the next one is ok. I know I had reflux as a baby but my brother didn't so hoping for that scenario. I also hope you are right that with experience next time round if they do we can get on top of it early. Although I read today 40% of babies have reflux which seemed huge. I guess what will be, will be.

Ok here's a happy story for you

DD had us totally off our rockers She would not sleep, had colic, had reflux, were prem, were small. Did I mention she would not sleep??? She had us off having a 2nd child for good. Thing is .. we wanted a boy

so in comes pg nr 2 and I made myself ready not to get ANY sleep (dd is still not sleeping through the night and have lovely sleep problems - yay) with them both wanting my attention at night. I was so glad ds were to be born in December - holiday season, so my mom would be able to help out. I had my dad on standby for coming in too just sit and hold the baby while I do housework/sleep/shower ...

thing is ... ds is a dream baby!! THANK YOU!!! He sleeps after night feeds, he goes to sleep by himself, he's not attatched to the dummy, he seldom gets grumpy and if he does he hungry, windy or sleepy ... and funny thing is .. I can tell which one. I will still tell DH everytime that he goes to sleep without me rocking him, that I can't believe it!!! I am amazed everytime I place him on the kitchen floor while I cook and turn around to find him asleep!!

So yes, what will be will be and because your first child were a "difficult baby" does not mean your second one will be programed to be.

All the best I hope you are as lucky as we are

Oh Nadine I like happy stories. I want me one of those babies!

It's funny because people keep saying you have had your difficult baby the next one should be the easy one. If only it worked that way. And I kept thinking what if DS was the easy one and the next one is harder!

It is good to hear a good news story. Continue enjoying your dream baby

Thank you ... I am enjoying him. I have told DH that I'm glad I got dd first, because if ds was first I would definatly have had them closer together AND we would have been so bored with him sleeping all the time ... would have had nothing to talk/moan about

And I kept thinking what if DS was the easy one and the next one is harder!
    OMG I hope for your sake not!!!

Although for me DS did have reflux and colic it still hasnt been as bad as with DS. Not sure if its cos she is my 2nd, if its got to do with her being a gril (have heard girls are easier), not sure if its cos i'm older now (was 19 when i was pregnant with DS). All i know is things arent as bad as with DS. Yes she does have reflux and the first few weeks were bad but now she's great,. Every baby has good and bad points. DS was a screaming spewer who walked early and was very active. DD was a screamer but not so much chucking, (another who looks like she wil walk early) but is so different.