Thread: First tooth-k-9 tooth!

mum2billyjoseph Guest

Default First tooth-k-9 tooth!

Hi my Ds is 3 months and I had the clinic nurse come out to see us today and I asked her about what i thought was just his first front tooth coming through, but it wansnt- its pretty far back in his mouth and she said that it was the bottom K-9 tooth.. is this normal to get as the first tooth- cos she told me the front 4 are the first to come- should I be over concerned about this?I was think of going to see a dentist but hes only 3 months! :-k

Wow! Don't be too concerned. Babies hardly ever do things they way they "should"

Normally the front teeth do come first, but often other teeth come first. Dont worry hun, everything is fine. In fact if you are breastfeeding not getting the front teeth is a bonus.

It might actually be a "Bohn's nodule". These are small, white bumps or cysts that develop on the gum ridge and are often mistaken for first teeth. At about 3months Gussy developed one that was funnily enough in line with where his K9 tooth would have erupted. Our CFHC nurse told me it was definitely a tooth, however said she'd not seen the first tooth appear in that spot before. So I went along for a couple of weeks thinking I had an "odd" child LOL. Then we had to see a Paed dentist on an unrelated topic and he had a really good look at it and said that it definitely wasn't a tooth, but rather a Bohn's nodule. Apparently it is exceptionally rare for anything other than the lower front incisors to erupt first. HTH K

mummymeegs Guest

I agree with Kirsty... I am a trained dental therapist and have seen these nodules. It is highly unlikely that he is getting his canine tooth at this age. Dont feel silly going to a dentist to check it out... At least you will feel better about it!