Thread: Grinding Teeth/Gums while teething

Default Grinding Teeth/Gums while teething

Hi

I'm hoping someone can cast some light on this small issue my DD has recently started. Last friday DD cut her first upper front tooth after having her bottom 2 front teeth for around a month now. I can see from her gums that she has 2 more top teeth just waiting to pop out (all on the right hand side) however since the upper tooth has come through she has started to grind her teeth/gums. When she does is you can hear the teeth she has grinding together, but I'm hoping this is what she is doing to get some relief from the discomfort from the teeth that are coming through.

She has been very good with her teething and is very rarely unsettled, to the point that I didn't even know the top tooth had come through until I was changing her nappy on the change table and noticed it had come through.

Has anyone else had issues with grinding of teeth/gums at this stage in teething, DD will be 9 months old next week and I'm hoping this is just a faze and not something I have to be worried about long term.

DS did/ does this too. I read somewhere it can be because having teeth is a new sensation and they're just feeling them out and getting used to them. I have noticed that in the last few weeks DS has started to do it again and he is teething again too so your probably right in that the pressure helps relieve the pain.

It's the most horrible sound isn't it. I cant stand it. It doesn't seem to have done any damage either so I dont think it's anything to worry about, just really annoying. lol good luck, I hope it doesn't last too long.