Thread: Is Gripe Water Good or EVIL???

Red face Is Gripe Water Good or EVIL???

I have been using Hartleys gripe water for my 3.5 month old son for the past 6 weeks and I have only just realised that it contains ethanol which I am told is alcohol. I have heard that it has been canned in the US cause of the alcohol content. Is anyone else using this? Should I discontinue??? It really works for my son. You are meant to use 5mls each time, but I only ever give him 2mls as that seems to work for him fine....I feel bad when I give it to him cause I dont want to be giving him something that isn't good for him... what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Dad77; February 25th, 2008 at 09:10 PM.

the version with Alcohol is no longer for sale in Canada and the US but everyone comments on how the new gripe water really doesn't do a thing. If you have a colicy babe and you use it reasonably then I'm sure you are just fine.

In a society that warns purchasers of hair dryers to not use it in the shower because people lack common sense they resort to banning products for kids in case parents don't use common sense.

It sounds like you are a parent who reads and heeds warnings. Just because someone in the states decided to give their babe gripe water and didn't read or follow the frequency or dosing information!!!!!!!!

I'd use it and I'd look high and low for a bottle of it for my new babe.

Good luck!

Hi Jayney

Thanks for your response! I agree with you on the non-common sense issue!!! I actually spoke to my doctor today about this and he was unaware that there was any ethanol in it. He actually said that he is highly suprised if it works at all, yet I have found it to be so beneficial! Logan usually gulps really loud and it seems to be bad indigestion and the gripe really works so do grab it for your bub. I use the Hartleys brand.

Best of luck with your pending arrival!

Lauren

Lauren

You can get a Gripe water that is alcohol free. I can't remember the name of it but just ask your chemist.

HTH
    Spring

Hi,

I used the non-alcohol gripe water with some prescribed medication (that contained some alcohol) with dd for her colic (mixed it in the syringe). And it worked like a charm.
    I agree with the common-sense stuff. And I think you are wise to just give 2ml instead of the recomended 5ml. I do believe that if used in moderation it's fine, it's when you give 5ml every two hours that it gets a bit out of hand, iykwim?? If you DO need to give 5ml every two hours (not that you do) your common-sense should tell you that there it's more than just plain colic and you will probably get him checked by a gp/pead so that the can prescribe something stronger

hey there.. i talked to my gp about this and based on the reaction asha was having he said his opinion was it was making her drunk rather than helping her.. (shed go to sleep almost instantly and not wake for hours which was really unlike her, and was in a really deep sleep, so much so that it was worrying to leave her in her cot)
    but as ppl have said its common sence and all kids react differently to things just thought id share our experience with it..

try Brauers Colic Relief - its a homoepathic wonder remedy. Try it on yourself next time you have a little gas and then you will see why it works so well for the little one.