Thread: How long off Losec before the scope?

Default How long off Losec before the scope?

Hi, just wondering to all the parents with babies/children with reflux or suspected reflux, how long did you stop the Losec before the scope? Our gastro says the longer the better. 2 days after stopping, screaming crazy toddler for at least 4 nights!! Mylanta is helping a little bit. Have him booked in for a scope this week (only 3.5 weeks after stopping meds), but not sure if we should really push the wait out longer. Im just worried that we wont get the best results. Our original plan was to hold off on meds for 8 weeks !!! Oopsies! Any experiences/knowledge would be much appreciated!
    Thanks, Mel

I have no experience, my little one is still on losec. Just wanted to ask what a scope was and why your little one is getting it?

Sue xxx

Hi Sue. William is heading towards 2 and a half now (omg where has the time gone!!), and he still had quite bad silent reflux. He has trialled being off Losec, went well for a while....until i realised the reason he was screaming at night and thrashing about, was again reflux! We went on hols for a month, and thought it more today with time zone changes etc. Put him back on Losec, back came a dream baby! This is just before he turned 2. Ideally, the doc said it would have been a great time for an endoscopy before i put him back on the meds, but id just put him on them (to see if it really did make a difference) whilst waiting for our appt. Most kiddies grow out of reflux by the age of 1, and even when starting solids. They used to routinely do a scope after age 1 to see what is going on, now it's age 2. A scope is a a tube that goes down the throat/oesophagus and tummy. It has a camera on it and is used to diagnose reflux- ie check for scarring, or other problems like allergies. Hoping we do see signs of reflux....!! He has all the typical reflux signs. I just hate seeing him in pain while we wait. 2 more weeks!
    Hope your little girl grows out of reflux! It really is an awful experience

Ah, I see.
    Aww, that sounds awful for your little man. I hope that you get to the bottom of it soon and get the appropriate treatment!
    Hugs
    Sue xxx

JD had his endoscopy while he was under a GA for grommets, andenoid removal, circ and dermoid cyst removed. Him coming out of the GA was terrifying and both DH and I were not prepared for that. So I am glad they did it all in one hit and would see is as a miracle if we did not have to put him under again! BUT if he needs it I would now know what to expect and probably be better prepared mentally and emotionally!