Thread: Lignocaine teething paint - W&C's hospital

Question Lignocaine teething paint - W&C's hospital

Hi there, in SA you can go to the Women and Children's Hospital for some teething paint which I understand to be Lignocaine (ie has an anaesthetic effect). Apparently it's the best thing but no longer available through pharmacies after one dad fed it to his child thinking it was panadol (!)

So, my question is - does anyone else in the other states know of any products (for painting on to baby's gums) that are available that have the lignocaine in them?

Hi there,
    I'll try and be of some help. I work in a pharmacy in melbourne and there are numerous oral/teething gels on the market with lignocaine or other antibacterial agents. They are only for use in infants above 6 months. one that you will be able to get easily for a pharmacy is sm33gel.

Thanks Pollyanna, I was just reading about the SM-33 this morning but I couldn't get the product info online - I wondered if it had the lignocaine in it. I will check it out at the pharmacy this afternoon. I hadn't tried any gels prior to this since my own experience with wisdom teeth was that bonjella was pretty hopeless.